Prop or not

bernie

I have a 1989 Range rover with a 5 speed manuel gearbox, it has high and low ratio only, no Difflock, I require a new front prop, I have been told i need a viscous prop but the prop that was on the vehicle is a standard style prop, Have i been misinformed?

I have a 1989 Range rover with a 5 speed manuel gearbox, it has high and low ratio only, no Difflock, I require a new front prop, I have been told i need a viscous prop but the prop that was on the vehicle is a standard style prop, Have i been misinformed?

Yes I believe you have been misinformed, no such thing as a viscous prop in my knowledge.

What you do need is a front prop for a Range Rover with a LT77 and borg warner transfer box, which is a different length to other setups with a LT230 transfer box.

Just been through this, here's what I learned.

Front props come in 2 lengths, one for LT230 vehicles, one for BW (viscous coupling, no diff lock) vehicles, the BW one is 2" longer IIRC.

Furthermore, the BW ones come in 2 thicknesses, standard for non-cat equipped vehicles, and thin for cat equipped. The thin one is more expensive.

Of course, you can use a cat prop shaft on non cat vehicle.

Just been through this, here's what I learned.

Front props come in 2 lengths, one for LT230 vehicles, one for BW (viscous coupling, no diff lock) vehicles, the BW one is 2" longer IIRC.

Furthermore, the BW ones come in 2 thicknesses, standard for non-cat equipped vehicles, and thin for cat equipped. The thin one is more expensive.

Of course, you can use a cat prop shaft on non cat vehicle.

The cat front type is a solid bar rather than tube, I guess about 1" diameter.