Disk type handbrakes

Guest otchie1

Ever since some unfortunate experiences with a Z200 that used a cable operated disk brake I've harboured dark thoughts about anything disky that isn't hydraulic.

Obviously a new cable operated caliper on a straight pull test will out perform a knackered drum but how do they stack up as hand brakes when they are both set up properly?

Didn't Citroen have them and end up with cars rolling down hills after hot disks cooled and contracted enough to slip?

So, experiences please whilst i go and rock the 110 to free the hand brake :o

Ever since some unfortunate experiences with a Z200 that used a cable operated disk brake I've harboured dark thoughts about anything disky that isn't hydraulic.

Obviously a new cable operated caliper on a straight pull test will out perform a knackered drum but how do they stack up as hand brakes when they are both set up properly?

Didn't Citroen have them and end up with cars rolling down hills after hot disks cooled and contracted enough to slip?

So, experiences please whilst i go and rock the 110 to free the hand brake :o

The Citroen issue was down to the handbrake lever being in the same place for left hand and right hand drive models

offset nearer to the LHS then people not applying enough tension on the handbrake due to it not being a straight pull as if the lever were more central

it operated on the front discs

when the discs cooled there were runaway Xantias a recall sorted the issue

how do they stack up as hand brakes when they are both set up properly?

Pretty much even-Stevens in most situations. A properly set-up drum brake will work very well and hold the Landrover on very steep hills. The trouble is that once mud gets in and seizes the brake mechanism you cannot release the shoes properly and then they get worn and end up out of adjustment. Then you have a problem. This does not happen with disc brakes as mud cannot get into the sealed caliper mechanism.

There is some "spring" in the whole cable/mounting system so any cooling and shrinking of the disc will be taken up. Since the disc is not part of a service brake, it does not get hot and expand in the same way as a Citroen.

Chris

X-eng salesman

Ask Mark how strong a disc handbrake can be......... :ph34r:

Seriously, though. I spent many an hour after each time off road dismantling and rebuilding the drum brake so that it would work. Even after a real fight to get one fitted to the back of a Borg Warner, I am much happier that I can apply the handbrake and rely on it, no matter how covered in cr#p the underneath of the car is.

Adrian

Satisfied customer

its a pleasant feeling to know that whatever the incline is you can pull the brake on and the car will be in the same place you left it when you come back

Unless a halfshaft snaps while the vehicle is parked and it rolls down the hill anyway.It's happened on a couple of occasions, not to me personally but years ago I got into the habit of engaging 4wd or rear difflock when parking on gradients on road or off.

Bill.

they don't, its made in a chinese sweat shop by tired childeren in leg irons, who are given a cup of rice and a good slap everyday for their trouble...

Whereas the X-Eng item is assembled in the UK, made from quality components and comes with excellent aftersales service...