Quick child seat question...

mike4444244

Hi

The trakker fold up front facing seat from exmoor trim locks in the upright position so any reason why it cant be used with child seat? They say only their lock fold one (£500+) is impact approved for new vehicles, does this mean that these rules dont apply if they are being fitted in a series 3? in a crash head on the force is resisted by the 3 point seatbelt not the seat? therefore using the normal folding seat shouldnt be a problem, would it be better if the seat was modified to be more securely locked upright?

Failing that does anybody know whether 2 child seats will fit in the front on the pass and middle seat?

My sisters getting a series 3 to go camping in with her 1 and 3 year olds so any help much appreciated, before anyone says just pay the money and get the expensive seat thats not an option as way out of budget,

Thanks

Mike

When new rules came out about seat belts in mini buses I had the government spec sheet for modifications to the seats, and it was all really basic stuff - just spreader plates ether side of the floor to spread the load from a seat belt, and a very similar arrangement for seats that had a belt anchor point incorporated in them I suppose technically your anchor points would have to be approved (not by an MOT station though). You are right in that the seat isn't the single most important factor - the belt is what retains the passenger in an accident (as long as the belts aren't secured to it) A plate either side of the bodywork with the anchor point bolted or welded through would be safe enough I reckon. A corner anchor point as in early series 3 lower front lap belts would be even stronger as there would have to be strain in two directions for it to break free from the bodywork. I think a bit of common sense and a little bit of excessive engineering would make a safe seat belt anchor point.

Les.

ill do em the same as the ones in my def, standard seatbelt bolts and nut through 5" square 6mm plate spreaders :) i'm puttin in an internal half cage aswell so will be able to have a decent top mount too, cant help thinking in my over cynical way that the only seats approved, ie the only ones sent for testing to be approved were the £500 ones...

mike

Hi, certainly for the next year or two there will be a full size child seat in it, hopefully by then the older one will have grown enough not need a booster seat, with any luck :)

regarding the sealtbelt receptacle, this is mounted solidly to the floor, meaning when you fold the seat up your left with the receptacle in the middle of the load bed floor, which seems to me to be asking for it to get trashed, what are the panels thoughts on some sort of suitably rated quick release, eg a steel screwgate karabiner (4T load) so that only the mounting plate is left behind? obviously the mount is tested in shear with the friction provided by the bolt fixing, so how about normal bolt through beefy plate with krab hole in that links to floor mount?

Its not a massive prob to have the receptacle on the floor i'm just trying to think outside the box :)

Mike

I'm just finishing off a mate's rebuild on a 110 SW. The rear seatbelts look to be original equipment. The "stalks" (just seatbelt fabric in the back) clip onto a D ring in the floor. the bit that you normally bolt through is more like a hook and has a safety latch to make the loop complete when clipped in. Not seen these before but make sense when you load stuff in the back.

I think you might have MOT problems with using a carabina - even if it is rated to 4-tons. I don't think any kind of quick release mechanism other than the belt clip would be allowed. Mounting a standard seat belt in a similar fashion to the OE would be one thing, but it's likely that other alterations would be frowned upon.

Les.

Hi

The trakker fold up front facing seat from exmoor trim locks in the upright position so any reason why it cant be used with child seat? They say only their lock fold one (£500+) is impact approved for new vehicles, does this mean that these rules dont apply if they are being fitted in a series 3? in a crash head on the force is resisted by the 3 point seatbelt not the seat? therefore using the normal folding seat shouldnt be a problem, would it be better if the seat was modified to be more securely locked upright?

Failing that does anybody know whether 2 child seats will fit in the front on the pass and middle seat?

My sisters getting a series 3 to go camping in with her 1 and 3 year olds so any help much appreciated, before anyone says just pay the money and get the expensive seat thats not an option as way out of budget,

Thanks

Mike

I could never fit two child seats into the front of our defender.

I used to have the trakker forward facing rear seats and had a problem with the saet slippling around on the base even when strapped down by the belt, I secured it even more by ratchet strapping it to both the floor and the back of the seat.

Also worth mentioning I had problems getting this through it's MOT with the seat as the bloke doing the test told me that you have to have seats approved if they are fiited by yourself different from original manufactuers design.

It was an expensive excuse for me to buy an new defender.

S6000246.jpg

I'm just finishing off a mate's rebuild on a 110 SW. The rear seatbelts look to be original equipment. The "stalks" (just seatbelt fabric in the back) clip onto a D ring in the floor. the bit that you normally bolt through is more like a hook and has a safety latch to make the loop complete when clipped in. Not seen these before but make sense when you load stuff in the back.

Yep, my 110 rear seatbelts are removable like that. 12" od seat belt fabric with a winch hook type doofa one end and the belt catch 'tother end.

Kid seats are a nightmare in the back of a 110, we have tried allsorts in the last eight years. Finally both boys use boosters tied down heath robison fashion.

Will :)