What Are The Largest Wheels I Can Fit....

OrbitalPear

On a standard leaf spring and shackle pack, 750x16 / 31" is probably about the best you can do. After that it's a function of lift and trim. I had 32" Simex ET's on the Tonka with paras and Revolver shackles, a less agressive tread and you could probably get 33" in there. After that, unless you do something about half shafts and diffs, bigger is not better.

I will be running 36" TSL Super Swampers in the new set up, but that will be on Volvo portals, there will be some trimming and it will be a lot less flexy.

Al,

I'm sure the pyramids were built more rapidly and with greater assurance of the final outcome.

It has been plagued with setbacks, mishaps, and misadventures, interrupted only by long periods of inactivity. But other than that, just great. I reckon it's still weeks out. One interesting development has been the decision to ditch the flexy Revolver shackles that give more droop and lateral spring flex. With the Q78/16s stuffing up into the wheel arch fairly quickly, it was never going to be very flexy. But with three locking diffs, it doesn't need to be :D I'm guessing - still not sure - at about 22" clearance under the diff. If I can ever work out the steering linkage I may have a truck and some pics....

On a standard leaf spring and shackle pack, 750x16 / 31" is probably about the best you can do. After that it's a function of lift and trim. I had 32" Simex ET's on the Tonka with paras and Revolver shackles, a less agressive tread and you could probably get 33" in there. After that, unless you do something about half shafts and diffs, bigger is not better.

I will be running 36" TSL Super Swampers in the new set up, but that will be on Volvo portals, there will be some trimming and it will be a lot less flexy.

Sorry for the dumn question.... :unsure:

Whats the metric equivalent of the 7.50 x 16..?? I've got Rosytle ex-rangie rims, as per the piccie...!!

Cheers

Pete

'74 SIII

image0305kk.gif

235/85/16 is the metric exivalent.

However on your truck you'll struggle with them casue the rostyles have got bugger all offset. If you want to run 7.50's on a swb without losing steering lock you'll need more offset. I used to run them on white 8 spokes with 4" of backspacing and they came just nicely flush with the arches and didnt need any bodywork cutting.

However the rears did rub the bottom of the seat box on full articulation.

I'm now running 285/75/16's on reversed 8 spokes with 6" of backspacing.

Jon

What size tires can you fit?

I've seen 35" diameter tires fitted but they had a wheel that had a bigger off-set than normal (a mangle wheel?) and the fenders were trimmed a bit. There are also pics somewhere (maybe the LRE forum?) of Land Rovers in Iceland with 44's. So, how much work and expense do you what to go to? 109's come standard and did for decades with a 32" tire. (7.50 x 16 also 235/85 x 16)

A buddy has 265 85 16's on a white 8 spoke with no mods and they work fine at 33" with Para's. The Para's give more lift so changes the point the arc of the tire contacts the spring and chassis when turning. He then added a 2" hanger lift and fit 1 ton shackle. This lift made his steering lock even better.

I have seen a series with "Q" 78 16's (35") and I think all they did was cut fenders a bit with wider off-set wheels.

I'd add a picture of it but don't seem to be able to find out how.

Try going to www.roverlanders.bc.ca then to the "Gallery" then down to "North West Challenge" then open the "NWC2001 album" check out "Eric-N's-wild-ride" also pic # 40, 41, 42, 43, 63 & 65