Stone Chip Seal vs. Underbody Seal

Coastcard

Having spent ages last year stripping, hammeriting and then applying underbody seal to the rear of my chassis, I found that the Hammerite Underbody Seal that I applied never seemed to dry. To this day it is still tacky and is annoying when you are working on the vehicle to get black smears all over you. I guess that it will also be tricky to ever get clean (should I ever get the vehicle on the road :lol: ). Also, some signs of rust seem to be bleeding through.

Having now just done my bulkhead, I applied Hammerite Stonechip Shield to its vulnerable parts which I thought was the same stuff, as it had similar claims, just reformulated and branded. This applies better, dries quickly with a nice smooth surface and can be easily painted over.

What on earth is the difference? They are both listed on the Hammerite website, but for my money the Stonechip Shield seems a much better and more practical option.

I used Hammerite with Waxoyl on the chassis of my last 109 and it dried to a waxy finish - same as Waxoyl does. Did a good job too from what I could tell. I'm using rubberised stone chip (applied with a shutz gun) on my new chassis as my experience with stone chip paint in the past has always been good. I used Smoothrite on the old chassis from catflap and rust came through it in several places without me even driving it!

Les.

Hammerite Underbody Seal is not supposed to dry to a hard finish, it has waxes in it which are supposed to give the stuff a certain amount of flexibility and self healing abilities. The stone chip stuff is fine as long as the surface it is being applied has been well prepared, is stable and clean.