Def 90 headlights

JST

just replaced the bulkhead in an '88 TD 90.

electirically wise everything works apart from the lights when switched to main beam (either perm or flasher) the headlights go off, cant hear a realy or anything click so i am guessing its goosed (fuse is OK)

is there a relay for the main beam lights and if so where is it?

Guest diesel_jim

I think it's only the Td5's that have an n built relay for main beam, the rest go through the lego main/dip beam switch on the stalk, so i'd start there first... if dip beam is working, then you could assume that there is 12v present, so trace back to that switch.

both main beam fuses OK?

there's no relay for the main beam or dip headlights, just the dim dip unit behind the instrument pack,

did you disconnect the lights at the bulkhead end or the lights end of the loom, if the latter recheck you've reconnected them correctly, otherwise it sounds like a duff stalk or the rubber connecter is fully done up.

just the dim dip unit behind the instrument pack,

What is ^^^ Ralph? is that the bronze coloured box thing screwed to the instrument panel holder?

wires to switch are OK, fuses OK,

rubber connector fully done up
- what or where might i find this? and i undo it?

is there an earth or anything there i should be looking for having not reconnected it?

Cheers for the help so far,

Dimdip units is a black rectangular box with a finned lower surface, it should be screwed to the metal plate above the instruments/steering column. with a white or orange plastic plug fitted into the lefthand end.

the connector for the indicator/main/dip/flash/horn stalk is attached to the wiring, just ease the stalk wiring towards the steering wheel & you should see/be able to disconnect/reconnect it. wiper stalk/light switch & rear fog switch are similar connections.

you should have a multi earth next to right of the fuel filter on the bulkhead (engine side, see photo of mine just above the heater control cables, the slot head screw/black wires going to it.)& behind each of the front light sets attached by bolt/nut to the inner wing vertical panel about 6 inches to the rear of the head/side/indicator lights.

post-20-1189875940_thumb.jpg

Edited by western

Thanks for the info Ralph, that pic also showing your dim/dip unit (by chance?) to the RHS - fins etc.

Will have a look at the beast today

Yep, I moved it into that position, just extended it's wiring loom by cutting off the plug & adding more wire to get it to that location, had to cut part if the case away to let the screws fit, it's been there for ages now & seems to survive OK :D

Ok i have had a play around today and they still dont work plus i am convinced that

there is nothing wrong with the switch - although some detail on how to test it would be great

at the moment i get side lights and dipped lights. when pushing fwd stalk for main beam dipped go off (as expected) but no main beam on. when pulling the stalk back dipped stays on just no flash (as expected)

where do the wires from the switch go to? the dim/dip module thing, just to double check is the one in the picture below? anyone have a MPN for one? (PRC6336 i guess for sealed beam unit) Microcat also shows another relay YMC10050L which mine has and this get warm, plus can be felt clicking when the dipped lights are turned on, so i assume this one is OK?

is there anything else in the system that can be checked?

post-53-1189964798_thumb.jpg

Yep, that's a dimdip unit,

the dim dip unit in your photo is self contained & doesn't need any other parts., the Part number for halogen headlight fitted vehicles is PRC8123.

either the main light switch or the stalk is causing the problems.

this might help, wiring diagrams for 1989 vehicles with dim dip

post-20-1189968745_thumb.jpg

Edited by western

with the dim dip unit removed, switch on & operate the lights, main & dip beam & flasher, if it works as it's meant to, the fault is within the dim dip unit, if it still doesn't work properly, I think you'll be needing a new main light switch or a new left hand stalk unit.

Dim/dip only deals with sidelights and dip beam.

Check the blue/white wire coming out of the main beam switch. This will tell you if there is power coming from the switch. If it is live then work forward through the connectors at the bulkhead end of the wings.

Have you checked the fuse ? Have you checked if one end of the fuse holder is live ?

Mo

Cheers Mo, will be onto it when back from a little run in a while

yes checked fuses, but no 12V at either end so was working back from there, now you have confirmed which wire it is (blue and white) i will check that switch end hopefully this am, depending on how long the run takes!!!!

now fixed!

a loose connector on the main beam side and a loose wire/ earth? for the flasher side

but all sorted now

Thanks Mo and Ralph, oh yes and Walfy for the wire colour tip (i didnt help but the headlamp surrounds are greatly appreciated)