Light Conversion

Is it easy to covnvert the Defender rear lights to the NAS lights?

Is it as simple as buy them and bolt 'em on?

It's easy aslong as you dont mind adjusting the body work with a file. I had to file out the holes on mine to get a flush fit with the edge of the body work.

If it's a 200tdi you will need to modify the wiring as later 300tdi lights plug in. You can get the bits to modify your wiring from Vehicle Wiring Products.

Martin

1996 Defender 90

Yes did it to my 1985 90

as above most wire plug in and a tad of body modding no sweat

if you have bullit connectors and don't wanna modd the wiring then go to landrover they have the converts and they aint to expensive

Guest mr_wuffles

Is it a 200 Tdi your fitting in them to? If so you'll need to make up the harnesses. I've found the easiest way to cut the holes out is with a jigsaw and a file.

If it's a 200tdi you will need to modify the wiring as later 300tdi lights plug in. You can get the bits to modify your wiring from Vehicle Wiring Products.

Martin

1996 Defender 90

If you need to order these plugs, does anyone know what to ask for or what they are called? :blink:

Guest diesel_jim
If you need to order these plugs, does anyone know what to ask for or what they are called? :blink:

try "Harness, extension", part # STC1188.

this comes up on my microcat as a 6" or so wire loom, with the moulded plug on the end. reckon you could solder and heat shrink it onto the LR loom no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

STC 4637 TAIL/STOP HARNESS EXTENSION

STC 1188 INDICATOR HARNESS EXTENSION

Be VERY CAREFUL with these extender cables, I did some wiring on the NAS last year and did the right colours got the wrong result. My old stock extenders were found to be different to the 2004 stock so bench test first!

They are primarily designed for Discovery (I think) which is probably why Land Rover changed the wire colour function!

BTW I had some aluminium spinnings made about 18 months ago because I was fed-up with changing the light fittings on a very regular basis, although they have rubber washers etc they do not stand-up to the rigours of off-roading and jet washing. Since making the caps which fit inside AMR 3850, extend around the back of the unit in the wheel arch I have not had to replace any of the rear light fittings. On Green Laning trips I would always get a "left rear stop not working Dave" or similar over the CB.

I placed a note on the USA forum at the other place but no-one across the pond seems to get the same problems!