Has anybody seen this on a axle

twizzle

The axle is almost certainly ex MOD at some time in it history, from what I have seen these were normally fitted to LWB models but knowing Land Rover and the MOD I expect there was some cross over and I expect some also went out on civilian model vehicles.

The insides of the axle should be identical so no problems with parts.

It should be vertually impossible to bend the axle......

If you hit them hard enough normally the swival housings shear off first but that requires quite a knock, last time I saw it done was a head on (well passenger corner) with a Cat D6 dozer at about 60mph.

The D6 won. The land rover was repaired but the chassis was bent so it ended up being scrapped later after yet another knock.

I've seen many series 2a vehicles both swb and lwb with those axles so I presume they were fitted to export CKD vehicles. Unfortunately the reinforcing doesn't extend out to the swivel ball flanges and that is where I have bent a couple over the years. The series 3 front axles were made of stronger material and I have never seen one with reinforcing even on LWB Military vehicles.

Bill.

Thats the 1 ton spec front axle casing that was also used on MOD 109".

Would need to be a very ancient 1 Ton spec as I was under the impression most were fitted with ENV front axles.Or was that only for export again?

Bill

PS, can anyone confirm for me what a so called heavy duty export chassis was ? Someone suggested that the UK domestic market models were constructed from 1.6 mm thin steel as distinct from the 2mm sheet steel that we in the Antipodes got.

Would need to be a very ancient 1 Ton spec as I was under the impression most were fitted with ENV front axles.Or was that only for export again?

Bill

Series 2A 1 ton had ENV front and rear(HD option on 6 pot), S3 up to april 74 has Salisbury front and rear, S3 from april 74 had HD rover front and salisbury rear.

Series 2A 1 ton had ENV front and rear(HD option on 6 pot), S3 up to april 74 has Salisbury front and rear, S3 from april 74 had HD rover front and salisbury rear.

What's the difference between a HD and standard Rover front axle? I took one off a 1984? SIII 1 ton and put it on my SWB and I couldn't see any external difference.