AVM freewheelhubs

^^^ What he said - I doubt very much they'll even fit a 90 as the hub flanges have a different number of bolts in them. Early 110's had 2x4 mode and the 2x4 conversion kit includes a pair of defender FWH's, but to my knowledge 90's never had this unless someone has retro-fitted it for some bizarre reason.

Oh and if you did fit them, your vehicle would have to be driven everywhere in difflock or you'd be going nowhere :rolleyes:

But just for curiosites sake how do they get fitted?

I presume you have to take something off the hubs and then fit these between the wheels and the hubs.

I'm new to owning a 90 and I'm trying to understand how various bits work and as I was given a pair then they are on the list.

Thanks

But just for curiosites sake how do they get fitted?

I presume you have to take something off the hubs and then fit these between the wheels and the hubs.

I'm new to owning a 90 and I'm trying to understand how various bits work and as I was given a pair then they are on the list.

Thanks

Grossly simplified the manual freewheel hub replaces the standard hub drive member and provides a means of disconnecting the hub from the driveshaft splines by means of a splined sliding collar.

You might get an idea by looking at AVM freewheel hubs

as I was given a pair then they are on the list.

Steve - understand that they are of no use on a 90, they will actually hinder the vehicle's operation. 99% chance yours are from a Series anyway and hence will not fit your vehicle. Most people don't bother with them on Series these days as they are just a weak link / something else to go wrong and their benefit has never really been proven.

why a landy loving mechanic would say to put them on as it would save mpg??

Because he doesn't understand the difference between a Series Land Rover (rear wheel drive only on the road, free-wheeling the front hubs means the front driveshafts, diffs and propshaft don't turn hence saving fuel in theory) and a Defender (4x4 on the road thanks to the centre differential distributing drive to front and rear, free wheeling the front hubs would result in no forward motion and would require the centre diff to be locked - this would then turn the front prop, diff and driveshafts from the other end and save precisely nothing).

Only if you converted your Defender to RWD like a Series would there be any point (unless you want to go drift racing :P )- and even then it's highly doubtful they ever save more than a fraction of an MPG. By the time you've faffed about and fitted the hubs, then bought the kit and converted your transfer box to RWD, you've gotta save a lot of MPG to recoup your costs.

I converted mine to RWD mainly to be in keeping with the sympathetic restoration job on the Series :D but powerslides are fun too B)

A lot of mechanics, recovery truck drivers and MOT inspectors don't know the difference between a Series and a Defender, to them they're all Land Rovers. I had a recovery chap refuse to tow my Series because he thought it was permanent 4x4 like a defender, no amount of persuasion would sway him and he left me in the p*ssing rain to wait for a flatbed truck instead.

I converted mine to RWD mainly to be in keeping with the sympathetic restoration job on the Series :D but powerslides are fun too B)

And then you rear drive flanges wear out from the excessive loading and you get to be stuck on the side of the trail.... :lol:

I'm sure it is just a coincidence that the only person I know to have done the 2WD conversion is the only person I know to have had said failure. It was a barrel of fun.