Are Ashcroft worth it???

Shackleton

I want to go for a new/recon gearbox and transfer case for my year long journey around Europe. Makes sense right.

Well I've checked with Ashcroft about an exchange R380 (Td5) and transfer case and before I even ship my box out (I'm in Ireland) and their box back in I'll be down €1600!

I've only heard good things about Ashcroft but I suppose I'm hear to ask whether I've been talking to the right people or listening hard enough?

I could have my units recon'd here for that or less but I'd be sceptical about the quality of the work and Ashcroft also talk about modding the g'box for a better shift.

Can anyone who has any experience at all weigh in, I need to make decisions and quick, the weather is closing in and I've shag all done :(

I want to go for a new/recon gearbox and transfer case for my year long journey around Europe. Makes sense right.

Well I've checked with Ashcroft about an exchange R380 (Td5) and transfer case and before I even ship my box out (I'm in Ireland) and their box back in I'll be down €1600!

I've only heard good things about Ashcroft but I suppose I'm hear to ask whether I've been talking to the right people or listening hard enough?

I could have my units recon'd here for that or less but I'd be sceptical about the quality of the work and Ashcroft also talk about modding the g'box for a better shift.

Can anyone who has any experience at all weigh in, I need to make decisions and quick, the weather is closing in and I've shag all done :(

I have bought a variety of stuff from Ashcrofts over the 15+ years,

100% genuine firm,

101% great customer service, reputation is deserved

I am sure you can buy cheaper, ....as to if you can buy cheaper and as good - thats the issue

With many "Recon" boxes there is often more "Con" than "Re"

If you can afford it then IMHO buy from Ashcroft

Nige

You can buy a box outright so you don't have to ship yours back - the exchange is £200 IIRC. If the shipping is the killer then could be worth asking round to see if anyone is going over and has some space in the back of their truck for a big box of cogs.

My box is ashcroft and seems fine so far, all my dealings with them have been helpful and genuine.

So the stuff is genuinely good, and thats a good point about just buying outright.

I could well afford the cogs but it's like this, every penny I spend here is a fraction of a mile less that I'll be able to afford on the road if you get me.

So Nige do you have an R380 from them and can you comment on the difference in their shift mod? What 'bout you Fridgey?

Yes mine's an R380, it works fine but having never owned one before I can't comment on it's relative performance. It's the suffix-L TVR-spec type with the improved shifting if that makes a difference, ISTR them telling me all their boxes were built to the latest/improved spec anyway regardless of what you send them.

I also recall either a post or an interview where Mr Ashcroft stated that people doing a recon for much less money couldn't be a proper job due to the basic cost of parts or somesuch.

I had an LT77 from them a couple of years back and it shifts like a sports car. Absolutely can't fault it. I bought a 200 tdi from a mate which had had a recon box in it less than 18 months previously and it is already like a box of nails. The 2nd gear syncro has dropped out and the change is generally sloppy. Put it this way

price of ashcrofts box is what £400

price of a cheap recon will be a minimum of £250

Changing the box over and fitting new clutch and fork and transfer gear will be the same whatever.

When you add it all up its only a small difference for the peace of mind it gives.

Thanks fellas, the weird thing is until you said Ashcroft IS the quality alternative I hadn't even considered that buying a brand new box from LR was the other option.

Looks like a box from AT though cause I've watched as the synchros get more and more sticky on my pals Defender and if Ashcrofts mods do what they say on the tin then thats for me...

If anyones making an impromtpu trip to or from Ireland let me know, I'd gladly share your fuel costs if you'd be willing to take a box either way :D

Cheers again guys, it makes a hell of a difference having some back up from here!

George