Out and about on Exmoor

white90

Tony

Be careful with Td4s and water splashes like that, on mine and some others I know there is a breather from the turbo wastegate modulator which goes down the back of the engine and into a small inline air filter canister then vents to atmosphere from the filter. A good splash seems to get water in there v easily and I have seen a couple which have and they didn't like it much :blink:

A solution is to extend the breather pipe to somewhere more sensible, a bit of windscreen washer tubing will push on to the "open" side of the inline filter and can be routed somewhere more sensible - assuming they haven't changed the design on later vehicles. IIRC I routed mine somewhere up round the ABS modulator

However it sounds like taking the Freelander off road may present other more immediate hazards :lol:

It did suprisingly well, we went over to Exmoor for the weekend and the freebie came along for the day on Sunday, we did`nt do anything over the top but everything we drove, it did quite easily, which suprised us. We drove Hawkridge to Tarr steps, as we figured that was the easiest direction for it and it struggled a bit going up the rocky section of Hawkeridge, but that was mainly because he disconnected the EGR plug earleir on and it really struggled for power, but after a quick reconnection it was right to rock again. I`ll chuck a few piccies of it up here when I get a chance.

Both Helen and Chris seem as happy as a pig in plop with it. :D

Tony

Be careful with Td4s and water splashes like that, on mine and some others I know there is a breather from the turbo wastegate modulator which goes down the back of the engine and into a small inline air filter canister then vents to atmosphere from the filter. A good splash seems to get water in there v easily and I have seen a couple which have and they didn't like it much :blink:

A solution is to extend the breather pipe to somewhere more sensible, a bit of windscreen washer tubing will push on to the "open" side of the inline filter and can be routed somewhere more sensible - assuming they haven't changed the design on later vehicles. IIRC I routed mine somewhere up round the ABS modulator

I have had issues with this on the Td4

Jules,

What did you do to yours to solve it/what were the symptoms?

On the ones I saw there was a huge loss of power, I guess the wastegate couldn't open/shut (whichever way it goes) because what happened was that a lot of dust gets into that silly little filter over time and then a good mouthful of water turns it all to mud which completely blocks the filter....

I guess a "robust solution" would be to extend the breather and route it into the clean side of the main engine air filter, that's what Land Rover did with the Defenders, which used to have the same silly little filter on early Td5s for the EGR modulator, and they had the same problem. Later Td5 Defenders have the breather from the EGR modulator routed to the airbox and it breathes into the clean side of the engine air filter. Not sure how easy it would be on a Td4 though as I seem to remember the air filter is a ground-breakiingly stupid arrangement and you need to take 1/2 the bluddy engine off to get to it :blink:

I solved my problems by selling the Freelander and getting a V8 Discovery which was what I wanted in the first place anyway :D

Total loss of power then a hose blow off the intercooler.

Fixed that and carried on looking for the issue then the inlet manifold split.

fixed that and found the air line connected to a filter which was packed with mud.

Cleaned it and replaced the filter and she is OK now.

mine produces a lot more psi from the turbo than a stock one does

I never drive through that ford (Tonys photo at the top is Malmsmead near Brendon) without thinking of a hot day one summer when I was riding in the back of my uncles MGB in the 70s whilst racing my Aunts MGB, she took the bridge we took the ford to try and overtake. It took us an hour or more to get the MG running again :o

Will

• 2 months later...

Had the same problem with my freelander TD4 when i took it round sailsbury plain at the weekend. It started chugging and not pulling right and i lost all power then it went into limp home mode all the way home! Very annoying because it did incrediably well all day and only got stuck once (the disco on the trip got stuck twice and we took pretty much the same route!)

image.jpg

image.jpg

I hope the images don't appear to big, they seem ok on my little webpage

Anyway the car went back to MJ Fews and as usual had brilliant service and help and the car was back on the road and happy. It will be heading back to the training area soon for another attempt which will push it a bit harder!

Andy

You could say that Mr Cowman! :o

Any chance you could drop them to 600 wide to keep our dial-up members sweet please? ;)

Done! I did shrink them quite a bit in the first place but I am never sure what they will look like on small screens and dial up! I want to get some photos of the freelander doing more technical offroading next so i'll see what happens when i go out next

andy