Rivnut tools

ibexman

I had a normal rivetter-style one and it's OK but M8's are a bit of a fiddle. Andy's long-armed one is far nicer IMHO.

Also, good quality rivnuts with a large flange make a difference, the cheap ones with a very thin lip around the top can pull through a panel before you get a decent pull on them, ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Avoid:

ribbed_thin.jpg

These are better:

ribbed.jpg

The ones with small lips are thin sheet rivnuts - for thin sheets ;) The others are standard flanged rivnuts.

I've got a Masterfix MFX-480QI rivnut tool, (about £90!) its excellent and makes it reasonably easy to put them in, so far i've used about 100 M6 steel rivnuts on the D-Lander!

post-2053-1190054600_thumb.jpg

I bought some 4 mm and 6 mm to lift the roof up on my waggon. 3 mm ally onto 2 mm alley, pop rivets would never have done the job. I wanted hock bolts which are similar to the pictures you show, I enede up with what the professional body work guys use for artics etc, the air/hydro tool was over 300 sqid, once they are in they will never move, super strong.

If you've only a few to put in and don't want the expense of buying a tol just for one job, just use a peice of steel bar, say 25 x 3mm with the appropriate size hole in it. Use it to hold the rivnut in place while you do about 3 turns on a bolt to pull the lower section up. We use a 3/8" butterfly impact wrench, or a ratchet and socket, when we can't get access to get the proper tools onto the job.

Toby

The ones with small lips are thin sheet rivnuts - for thin sheets ;) The others are standard flanged rivnuts.

I've got a Masterfix MFX-480QI rivnut tool, (about £90!) its excellent and makes it reasonably easy to put them in, so far i've used about 100 M6 steel rivnuts on the D-Lander!

post-2053-1190054600_thumb.jpg

I have something similar, the only problem I found with it is the difficulty of using the thing in confined spaces due to the length of the handles.

• 3 weeks later...