Ashcroft uprated CV's

white90

Ian/Dave were telling me they used to Peg comp safari diffs way back too

but other work was of more importance so it was put on the back burner.

The next time I remove my Diff centres I'm going to get them done at Ashcrofts.

PS

Kev whilst your diffs were out why ever didn't you fit some ARB's?

I'm sure you could have got some to test from a willing supplier :)

Edited by white90

Well, my CVs are in and tested. There is only one word for them: AWESOME!!!! :D I went for the second type; the 32 spline replacment ones. These have the same sized bell as the AEU2522 sized CVs but with a shorter stubshaft and allow you to use the standard roller bearings in later hubs rather than conversion bushes. I also got a set of drive flanges. The quality is superb, better than MD IMHO.

I was out yesterday testing at Brick Kiln farm and they got a real going over. This site has been responsible for a good number of my breakages and those who've been there will know why. I'll give you an idea of a couple of the things I was doing. First off I tried to turn into a deeply rutted watersplash at the bottom of a slope.. I couldn't turn all the way in and there were trees in front which stopped me bouncing the front of the vehicle out to do a 3 point turn. The solution was to turn the wheel to full lock, engage lockers, pop the box into reverse and floor it. The tyres gripped the side of the rutts and the vehicle crabbed sideways several feet where there were no trees. Most impressive. I also did a lot of the rooted climbs out of the bomb holes. These are brutal on the drivetrain. One of the other things that you can do with these CVs is engage the front locker and turn the steering wheel from lock to lock to hunt for grip.

Pegging my diffs is on the top of the list (along with an underdrive). Its a great mod that's well worth doing.

Dave, will they be available for those of us that run traction controll?

Gearbox less!! :rolleyes:

Peter

Hi,

I did look into getting the CV's made with the ABS rings but I was advised it would reduce strength by approx 15%, I also thought that most potential purchasers would have disabled the ABS / traction anyway.

Hi,

I did look into getting the CV's made with the ABS rings but I was advised it would reduce strength by approx 15%, I also thought that most potential purchasers would have disabled the ABS / traction anyway.

I find T/C and rear diff locker work well together, as I do a lot of road miles I like the ABS as well. Can they be turned down and a abs ring fitted from a greater strength material, making them even stronger? ( I think that is what Lara has done) We did this years ago on Suzuki CV’s to stop them breaking not for t/c.

Gear Box less! :o

Peter

I find T/C and rear diff locker work well together, as I do a lot of road miles I like the ABS as well. Can they be turned down and a abs ring fitted from a greater strength material, making them even stronger? ( I think that is what Lara has done) We did this years ago on Suzuki CV’s to stop them breaking not for t/c.

Gear Box less! :o

Peter

I can look into this for you but I don't have any experience in this at the moment,

your box is being built today !

PS

Kev whilst your diffs were out why ever didn't you fit some ARB's?

I'm sure you could have got some to test from a willing supplier :)

Tony

Yeah, yeah, Simon Buck wouldn't shut up about that one as well! The reason is simple. For something that was only ever going to be used sometime, maybe never, an extra £1k on the lockers was a complete waste of money for me. Besides, the Discovery might not be with me much longer. As for blagging a set of ARB's for 'testing'...I should be so lucky :huh:

Dave will you be publishing a comparative torque failure figure for the CV's? its nice to be able to see facts as opposed to relying on anecdotal evidence.

Nige - pegging/deflection slippers have been used in drag racing since time began - not all racers are bodgers fella :D

Edited by dollythelw

Will, why on earth do you need an underdrive??

Cheers

Steve

A couple of reasons; I like engine breaking and an underdrive will give me that again. Also, with a 1.67 transferbox in high and underdrive engaged you get a ratio of 4.49. That's a 35% reduction on low range which could proove useful at times.

Peter, just drop Lara a PM. His rings should fit straight onto Ashcroft's CVs as the OD is the same as the CVs he's got fitted.

Peter, just drop Lara a PM. His rings should fit straight onto Ashcroft's CVs as the OD is the same as the CVs he's got fitted.

Will,

Cheers for that, will sort out in new year as my pockets aren’t deep enough at the moment :lol::lol:

Peter

testing a product.

I would be happier about buying something this expensive ( :blink: ) IF it has been tested by at least few hundred people and over a longer time period. Different surfaces, speeds, cars, compatitions ................ till then I will rely on already used, abused and proven CVs

you know " one swallow does not make a summer" ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:P:P:P

if you do not plan to get a ARB in the front try and get a 4 pin diff as fitted to the rear in The Army wolfs

also available elsewhere but at a ££ for the money probably cheaper to fit another ARB(4 pin standard)

ARB's from muddy trout, you'll get discount for buying more than one BTW.

Above is what I'd do in your position.

Tony

The 4 pin diffs came on V8 90's all of them.

If a racer has not got there first and nicked them/swapped them for st RR ones which is very common.

Opps, sorry, I ment braking. Slip of the keys...... :unsure:

Zed

agreed but

I could fit a Standard CV and go out on the same hills I drove and break it at easily.

no one will make hundreds of test units the cost/risk is too high.

I'm positive after afew more confirmation reports people will be beating a path to thier door.

to buy these.

Tony

Zed, pretty much anything reasonably well made would be an improvement let alone something from the Ashcroft stable. Also, if you have a couple of CV failiers a year then they actually start to look like excellant value (my last one cost about £200 and a couple of days to sort). I have no doubt at all that these will sell VERY well once they've prooved themselves in a few events.

Zed, pretty much anything reasonably well made would be an improvement let alone something from the Ashcroft stable. Also, if you have a couple of CV failiers a year then they actually start to look like excellant value (my last one cost about £200 and a couple of days to sort). I have no doubt at all that these will sell VERY well once they've prooved themselves in a few events.

Thanks for the confidence Tony and Will, I am also confident these CV's will prove themselves to be a quality product,

Zed, the type of testing you are describing would be great in an ideal world but totally unrealistic in the real world. If all suppliers adopted this testing method I think all Defenders would be totally stock, I don't think you comprehend the costs involved.

Yes they will be expensive but this needs to be weighed up against the hassle and inconvienience of changing stock ones, as Will mentioned if these save a few failures, they are not that dear but we certainly hope they will be 'fit and forget' for some time.

We take testing quite seriously as some of you are aware, I very soon hope to add to our web site details of a hydraulic destructive testing rig we have made which will give conclusive comparison data on stock and aftermarket halfshafts and CV's. I think this will make very interesting reading, if you have any left over KAM, GKN, Maxidrive or other shafts just send them along for us to break!

We take testing quite seriously as some of you are aware, I very soon hope to add to our web site details of a hydraulic destructive testing rig we have made which will give conclusive comparison data on stock and aftermarket halfshafts and CV's. I think this will make very interesting reading, if you have any left over KAM, GKN, Maxidrive or other shafts just send them along for us to break!

Dave - any predicitions? when do you think you will have some figures?

Will - I'm not a label fan, just because a product is being sold by Ashcroft doesn't instantly make it the ultimate solution - hence the need to publish figures? It would certainly help justify spending out for new toys

Who tucked you up for £200 for a CV????????

I like playing devils advocate :D

Who tucked you up for £200 for a CV????????

I like playing devils advocate :D

Nope, it was for a CV, a new stub axle, new nuts (had to split the old ones as the stub axle flared), new wheel bearings (didn't get all the swarf out in the field so they wrecked the bearings on the way home) and a new MD bush. Add 5 hours and lots of anglo saxon to strip it down and you'd be amazed how much I'd have been willing to pay that day for uprated CVs ;)

Jez, agreed a name isn't everything but a good reputation does give you some confidence. As Dave mentioned they've built a test rig and already the results seem very interesting.

Edited by will_warne

Jez, agreed a name isn't everything but a good reputation does give you some confidence. As Dave mentioned they've built a test rig and already the results seem very interesting.

Thats what Im asking for Will - results not conjecture, If Dave has built the test rig and already has comparative data then publish it, do you have his results? if so put them up here :D

My confidence comes from tools for the job, thats why I have portals - If there is a non-portal solution that offers a similar strength to my requirements then Im all for it, but I want to see figures - Ive written big cheques out to Dave in the past and would have no issue with doing the same again but I want to see what Im buying.

:ph34r:

x2 23/24 new CV from Ashcroft to replace the 32/24 you currently have

new Ashcroft extreme shafts

Ashcroft Drive members

cush drives are an option

and get the ARB fitted diff pegged

that will set you up with a tremendously strong rear axle

the front diff will be a weak point till you replace it as it will only be a two pin diff

if you do not plan to get a ARB in the front try and get a 4 pin diff as fitted to the rear in The Army wolfs

also available elsewhere but at a ££ for the money probably cheaper to fit another ARB(4 pin standard)

ARB's from muddy trout, you'll get discount for buying more than one BTW.

Above is what I'd do in your position.

Tony

Will this fit into a 1990 Range rover classic axle?

Nope, it was for a CV, a new stub axle, new nuts (had to split the old ones as the stub axle flared), new wheel bearings (didn't get all the swarf out in the field so they wrecked the bearings on the way home) and a new MD bush. Add 5 hours and lots of anglo saxon to strip it down and you'd be amazed how much I'd have been willing to pay that day for uprated CVs ;)

Was that when you were out playing at brickiln with Ali and me and the GKN overload protectors on standard CV out did you when you munched your new CV end hub.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I like Will suffered an expensive CV failure destroying the stub axle/bearings/bush etc, afterwards I refitted exactly the same make of CV and continued as there were no viable alternatives on the market.

Now there is a CV made from far greater quality materials so rather than having conclusive proof that they are stronger I'm happy to pay up and try them.

in the same way I believe the sales talk on Maxi Drive products ARB's etc

as for destruction testing it is of intrest but in the real world of useage how do you measure a 90/110/Rangie/Discovery jumping and landing on a grippy surface? or the vehicle stood on its nose all the weight on the front axle and trying to reverse out? Also the vast weight differences from 1.5-3tonnes what a difference this must make.

As it turns out the Maxi Drive shafts have been in for over 2years and there are no marks on them whatsovever no spline wear/twisting so they have proved to be a good investment.

Suppliers such as Ashcroft/Maxi Drive/ARB are reputable companies that aren't here to make a few ££ then vanish.

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy