Jump to content

Black putty stuff for bodywork.


Recommended Posts

As above, the non-setting black putty stuff that is found in gaps around doors and windows (in fact quite a lot of places!) on a Defender.

Anyone know what it is and/or where to get it from?


Its called "Seam Sealer" you can get it from Brown Brothers or other Bodyshop suppliers

Often its in grey or black comes in a tube a la silicon tube so you can then use the applicator


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Us coastal loonies all seem to use marine stuff. I have used Marineflex (which is basically a poly sealant) as a seam sealer. It is great stuff for sticking and sealing (used to put plastic windows into boats) and I plan to also use it to re-bed my rear door window. Dries reasonably quickly and can be painted over. Handy tip is (as probably with many sealants) to bed whatever you are fixing in, then let the Marineflex dry, then tighten the fixings up. This way you get a great seal.

Think I have some Sikaflex (it is the dogs do da's) hanging around so will have a look at it, but from memory I think it will remain a bit too sticky for the bits I am looking at doing. Would be great for bedding/sealing things like rear tub etc. though

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy