Help - did I remove something bad??

We were installing a set of Bearmach bumperettes on my 110 Defender this weekend and in order to accomplish this had to remove two huge screws that seem to us could result in some serious consequences and repercusions if missing. However, without taking them out, the bumperettes don't fit and the holes in the bumperettes are too small to accomodate these screws and would not have fit back thru the same slots anyway.

Below is a picture of where the screws were located.

Any input as to whether we should run outside immediately and replace them is greatly appreciated!!

Tiffany

defender.jpg

Tiffany

On my 110 two of those holes (one each side) are used for fixing the ends of an NAS rear tow step.

A spacer/stiffener was privided with the kit to fit inside the rear cross member so that when we tightened the bolt it did not compress or distort the rear cross member.

You probably have little to worry about removing the bolts, however can you see or feel down inside the end of the rear crossmember, perhaps there are spacers/stiffeners inside held in place by the bolts.

TD5 rear cross members are not as robust as on previous models so if your new bumperettes were to take a knock the cross member could be distorted.

If you can see spacers/stiffeners I would try and keep them by changing the bolt to something that fits through the new bumperettes as well although this will probably require drilling.

Hope this helps.

John

Guest diesel_jim

On my 110 SW, those bolts hold in the end of the re-inforcing plate that holds the rear seatbelt rail in place.

So... without them, shoudl you need to perform an emergency stop with folk sat in the back, the seatbelt rail could come adrift... :unsure: