Fuel return pipe leaking - 200Tdi

For about the third time over last year I caught whiff of diesel whilst driving. As expected when I stopped and looked under the bonnet the fuel return pipe nut on the rearmost cylinder had slackened so the engine was wet with diesel. I have tightened it up again but wonder if I need to look at replacing, presumably the whole cabbodle across the four cylinders.

Is this a known issue and if so what is best solution.

Checking torque shows only 24 from memory so had to judge not over tightening but perhaps I did not tighten enough.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Malcy

Guest diesel_jim

Do you mean the spill rail pipe? (they loop from each injector)

mine kept coming loose on my old 200Tdi, i looked into it, and the "new" part uses much softer rubber pipes, instead of the stiff hard stuff that mine were made from, i fitted these and it cured the problem.

As expected when I stopped and looked under the bonnet the fuel return pipe nut on the rearmost cylinder

Is this where the return line banjo connects to the side of the injector?

If so, you'll find copper washers either side. They work harden with age and don't tighten properly. Just replace the washers and you're set :)

Yes this is the thing - it does loop to each cylinder.

I guess at least I need new copper washers then and if going that far will find out how much the new pipe costs since having done nearly 17 years I am sure it might appreciate a new one.

I will try and find the part numbers for the whole lot, price it and order up. Am I right in that there are no special precautions I need to take when replacing it? It is after all only a spill pipe rather than a feed pipe.

Thanks for the help

Malcy

Thanks western

If I get these two part numbers (well 8 of the washers) is that going to give me all I need or do I need to get the banjo connectors too? I have looked on the Craddock site and they have no image of the parts so not sure what I am likely to get. Experience shows I usually end up missing some small, but usually essential, part!

Malcy

Hi,

I've just done my pipes they were the plastic set up, new ones are the rubber cloth type, the cooper washers are dear...

The whole lot was about £33.00. One of my banjo bolts was a normal bolt drilled out to make a banjo bolt, thought I'd replace it while doing the rest.... £19..00 for one bolt... it wasn't leaking so back it went...

Anyone got a spare one they can post over...?

Good luck

db

Got the part yesterday and on checking today it is the right part number (ERR3652) made by Britpart but it does not match with what is currently on The Beastie (see image attached). I seem to have one rail with four offshoots to the cylinders and a central pipe that goes back to the fuel pump area.

WHat I have got seems to be four loops that will sit much closer into the engine (and not sure how to get past the big black thing in the middle but it may not be a problem) and then a longer pipe running off after the junction to either cylinder 1 or 4 with a big round O shaped junction with feeds from the spill rail into the central hole and a metal pipe coming off it. It looks like it would certainly need some sort of bolt or something to block the big O since otherwise the fuel would just spill away.

What I have does bear resemblence to the picture white90 put up so suspect it is the right part, but what is my existing setup?

I have not explored where the fuel pump end of my existing goes since it is tipping with rain at the moment but I am concerned that something is not right and do not want to take apart since I have a sense the existing pipes might be quite brittle and break :( .

Can anyone shed any light for me?

Thanks

Malcy

post-3029-1190999625_thumb.jpg

Hmm OK, well I won't be doing the job tomorrow then!

I got ERR3652 and eight of the copper washers as per the part number in your earlier post but I had assumed I could reuse the existing banjo bolts. From what you are saying I need to get new ones - you suggested STC3297 earlier. So if I get four of the banjo bolts that will sort the cylinder end but what do I need to get for the bottom end? The "hole" in the middle of the polo is much wider than the ones for the cylinder end - I could just about fit my pinkie through it - well I could if I didn't have fingers like sausages LOL

Would opening the package and posting a photo help?

Sorry to be such a pain but I do not want to start till I know I have all the bits I need.

don't worry about being a pain, we all started somewhere, this pic of the spill return connection on my injection pump may help.

banjo bolt isn't listed by detailed location in the parts book or EPC, but it might be err886, the lower banjo bolt in my photo below, the spill return line runs in from the left & out to the tank via the pipeline connectoer just to the right.

post-20-1191009810_thumb.jpg

Thanks It is beginning to make sense. The curved bit of metal pipe off the end of my big "polo" is clearly now the connector to the fuel tank but it is just a plain pipe so I will presumably need to order up the connector to the pipe - 2/3 of way down RHS of your picture - looks a bit like a compression fitting if one was plumbing

I think I need to wait until tomorrow when it will hopefully have stopped raining and have a real poke about. Presumably there will be an existing equivalent of the lower banjo for the big "polo". Is this likely to be re-usable?

Also could you please confirm if I will need new banjo bolts for the cylinder connections so that I can order them up if necessary.

Thanks and best wishes

Malcy

the injector banjo bolts IIRC are a common part as the injectors are common to all 200Tdi engines,But I'd check your existing ones against the STC part number I mentioned earlier in the thread. the compression connectoer is part of the TD engine to 200Tdi retro-fit kit so you might not need it as your vehicle is a factory built 200Tdi, but if you want the connector have a look here 6th sub title from top of page

hth :D