Fuel valve

I have a 2003 300TDi (RoW spec) - I was overseas and had a problem which at first felt as though the turbo had gone, the engine worked up until the turbo tried to kick in then it through out clouds of blue smoke. The mechanic in Yemen described it as a fuel return valve on the pump which had gone and he had it replaced - unfortunately they didn't give me the original back. Ever since then the car has been noticeablly slower - I know they didn't replace it with a genuine part and want to now do that as I'm back in the UK - does anyone have an idea what this may have been - I asked him where it was and he pointed to the fuel pump.

grateful for any ideas

I should say that the turbo is uprated along with the intercooler but don't think that afafcetd the part failing

D

I have a 2003 300TDi (RoW spec) - I was overseas and had a problem which at first felt as though the turbo had gone, the engine worked up until the turbo tried to kick in then it through out clouds of blue smoke. The mechanic in Yemen described it as a fuel return valve on the pump which had gone and he had it replaced - unfortunately they didn't give me the original back. Ever since then the car has been noticeablly slower - I know they didn't replace it with a genuine part and want to now do that as I'm back in the UK - does anyone have an idea what this may have been - I asked him where it was and he pointed to the fuel pump.

grateful for any ideas

I should say that the turbo is uprated along with the intercooler but don't think that afafcetd the part failing

D

Did he point to the fuel lift pump or the injection pump?? If its the latter it may have been the boost diaphram that was punctured and replaced. The orientation of the shaft of this within the housing affects fuelling and performance. Is possible that if this was changed it was put back slightly "out". Search the forum for tuning of the Bosch injector pump.

If it was the lift pump, it shouldn't have reduced performance unless the lift pump was not for a Tdi...

The ony fuel return valves are in the lift pump and these are not replaceable....