rear diff

bombx3

I take you are referring to one of the planetary gears? I doubt that was the main cause of it snapping - it's more likely it was seriously weakened elsewhere or by something else that caused it to snap. If it's the same as Series, then apart from the pinion and crownwheel gears - everything else is available as a seperate item, so you could possibly repair it.

Les.

Well i just fitted a second hand diff and its so quiet no noises when i take foot off pedal and on again ,ive been trying to locate that noise for yonks ,as i got 38" boggers on steep props .think that diff has been broke for a couple of months

....................i got 38" boggers on steep props .think that diff has been broke for a couple of months

:ph34r: :ph34r: I think you have just located your problem. 38" boggers on a standard 200 tdi axle and i'm surprised you managed to drive out of the tyre fitters without breaking the diff :lol: :lol: We used to break em regular running 31" rubber!

hi could any one explain why my rear diff broke while on tickover in a rut.The pin snapped and a small cog on all on one side

ragards

Ray

Fatigue damage occurs over time due to cyclic (repeated) loads. The number of cycles to failure is fewer if the loads are greater. Normally a crack grows from a stress raiser or defect. It is not unusual for the final failure to occur under a small load because the crack has grown so much - only a small section left.

If you look at the failure section you may see how the crack has grown and a small section on one side that has a grainy appearance - that small section is what was left when it broke.

Well i just fitted a second hand diff and its so quiet no noises when i take foot off pedal and on again ,ive been trying to locate that noise for yonks ,as i got 38" boggers on steep props .think that diff has been broke for a couple of months

2 pin rover diffs are too weak for much smaller tyres.

From another post....

Fitted 3" lift 4" plus longer shocks disolation cones ect.37" boggers offset,ash croft shafts ect,new wide props and new diffs,wide archs.I have had this 90 from 1992 and think i proberly go off road every day but a novice at the up grades.......

Ummm buddy.....

Before you come and ask such a question perhaps you should explain what equipment you have on the axle......... You can't have a stock 10 spline diff with this setup............... :blink: :blink: :huh:

There is NO way you should be running 37" tyres with Rover centers and shafts ever.....

devon 4x4 do a 24 spline diff to take ashcroft shafts,you take in your 12 and they change it to a 24 .i am out at valley pay and play at exeter if you want to see .Nothing wrong with 38" boggers on standard landy gear .I will get a 4 pin diff if this one breaks to quick but hopfully it wont,

...Nothing wrong with 38" boggers on standard landy gear .I will get a 4 pin diff if this one breaks to quick but hopfully it wont,

Must be low traction where you are.

Most certainly could not run a 2 pin rover diff with decent 31" tyres where I am.

Just got in its very dry in Devon a bit dusty so was able to do most on tick over but went in some bogs and gave it loads spinning everywhere digging my self out but asoon as i knew it was going to bite as i climbed out i just back off ,perfect realy had fun .I feel i pushed all the moving bits well