roll cage

jameslwt

I am thinking about using my 110 a bit more 'aggresively' (if thats the right word to use) as I now have a usage of a 2nd car (ie it isn't so much of a critical issue if the 110 breaks), and having looked at cages in other people's trucks, it got me thinking that maybe I should start thinking about one myself.

So..... what thoughts do you all have? It's a 300tdi hardtop, and I don't really want to spend a fortune on a full cage. (read that as, like everyone, I want to spend as little as possible as it's a money pit). I am not going to enter any serious competitions, but am quite willing to give things a go within my (and the trucks) limits.

Got me wondering just about a rear hoop (braced), or whether I should be looking at front cabs or what. I don't know! How easy are cages/hoops to fit? Reasonably mechanically minded, and can weld but by no means that good at it! With internal cages, how does the front fit? Presumably the dash has to be removed etc?

So anyone in the know, point me in the right direction! Guess cost is going to be the big governing factor. Theres a few hoops etc on fleabay that I have been watching.

Cheers

James

I'm sure you can have one built for not a lot of money, especially if it is just a chassis mounted rear hoop - enough to save your life, but not the car. If you were nearer, I'd have look for you, but I reckon Devon is probably a bit far for you. I could bend a kit for you, but you'd need to get some one to mount it for you.

Toby

I'm sure you can have one built for not a lot of money, especially if it is just a chassis mounted rear hoop - enough to save your life, but not the car. If you were nearer, I'd have look for you, but I reckon Devon is probably a bit far for you. I could bend a kit for you, but you'd need to get some one to mount it for you.

Toby

How are internal hoops/cages mounted to the chassis? Never really looked at one in detail tbh.

Cheers

James

How are internal hoops/cages mounted to the chassis? Never really looked at one in detail tbh.

Cheers

James

An upstand is fabricated off the chassis with a flat plate on top of it, which sits up against the underside of the floor. The roll hoop (and rear braces) have matching plates on the bottom of it, whch allows you to bolt the two together, sandwiching the floor. This means the hoop is removable, allowing you to take the tub off if required. If you are really clever, the nuts on the bottom are captive so that you can unbolt without even needign to go under the vehicle. Unfortunately, I haven't any photos of one which I did years ago in a Series 1, but I'm sure HfH's thread on rollcages has a picture in the ALRC section (fom memory of when I was in C&DLRC). The other alternative is to weld straight to the chassis, but that means big holes in your tub to weld through, or unbolting it to lift it up, which is always a hassle. It will also mean that you can't remove the tub.

Hope that answers your question,

Toby

Thanks for that. Will have a think about it. So that means that all the cages/hoops on fleabay that have flat plate at the bottom of the legs will need the bits underneath presumably(which would make sense).

Used to have a lightweight with a stayed rear hoop - wish I'd looked at that in more detail!

James