Rear Disk Axle on a 90

gruntus

Gents,

I posted up a query a while ago with regard to what rear axles will fit and replace a rear drum 90 axle and also be able to fit boost alloys.

So with a few quid in my pocket I took the plunge this week and headed off to a freindly nearby LR dismantler.

I knew I would be safe with a 200tdi Disco rear axle (which I had set my sites on) however when I was on site the best of the bunch was of a K plate Range Rover Vogue as pointed out to me by the staff. They assured me that the axle would be fine for fitting boost alloys and that it would fit and work without any alterations.

Before removing the axle I checked with a Disco next to it and the half shafts were the same (24 spline) and had the same number on them. The only difference was the Range axle having ABS sensors and hence two seperate pipes to the calipers. I was told by said freindly member of staff that I would only need to T in both calipers with one line and all would be well and that the diff gearing was the same as my 90.

Soooo........getting to the point, could you chaps out there confirm the following:

1) The gearing of the rear diff is the same as the gearing on my old drum axle and that the only difference is 24 splines istead of 8?

2) The rear disks do indeed only need to be T'd in to the rear brake line?

3) The rear brake calipers are standard items (albeit with ABS) and I haven't got something special that won't go on the 90 and that boost alloys will fit ok?

4) Generally are Disco axles and the Range Rover axle off this model pretty much the same?

5) Whats the best hemmaroid cream on the market? :o (I forgot just how heavy they are)

So before I order up some replacement spring supports and axle link brackets (they are a little bit shot) from MPS I thought I would ask the "Land Rover gurus" :mellow: (ommmmm) before refurbing the axle.

As always thanks for your help in advance.

Cheers

G

I can't answer all the questions but hers a few, I am sure some one will answer the rest.

All coil axles should be the same ratio, the diffs are 3.54 unless the previous owner has changed things about, in which case I expect the diff would be worth more to someone on here and you would be able to get a swap with no problems.

Generally disco and range rover axles are the same, the only differences you may see is things like ABS and anti roll bar brackets being more common on generally higher spec range rovers, but this depends on the spec of the origional vehicle.

The hubs should take the alloys, the alloy wheel hubs have slightly longer studs to allow for the thicker wheels, you can tell the difference as they have a slot in the end of the studs. Many people have run alloys on standard studs and never noticed the difference but if the vehicle get scrutineered at any time they should do.

The two lines on the calipers is to allow for duel line brakes so it should be fine to just connect them together as they suggest.

When the axle is fitted you may find the back is a bit over braked and will tend to lock up under heavy braking, I believe later 90 which had discs as standard have a pressure reducing valve in the brake pipe to stop this, I am sure some one will be able to confirm or deny this.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for the reply, the studs do have the slots on the end so thats good news.

The axle did have an anti roll bar fitted and also had air suspension.

The 90 does have a pressure reducing valve fitted and heard some guys say to remove it to get them right but I will leave the valve in situ and try before removing.

By the way I hope you were at work on a night shift last night as answering my question at 2 AM saturday night makes you look as sad as me! :P

Thanks for your help.

Regards

G

all 90/110 rear & front axles (disc or drum braked) have the same diff ratio --otherwise the vehicle wouldn't work.

24 spline at outer end 10 spline at diff end

T piece on your existing axle then out to both calipers

calipers are common if RR & Disco have abs fitted, these will be ok to use without abs

RR & Disco axles are virtually the same

all 90/110 rear & front axles (disc or drum braked) have the same diff ratio --otherwise the vehicle wouldn't work.

24 spline at outer end 10 spline at diff end

T piece on your existing axle then out to both calipers

calipers are common if RR & Disco have abs fitted, these will be ok to use without abs

RR & Disco axles are virtually the same

Hi Ralph,

Thanks, the one thing I noticed when I took out one of the half shafts from the RR axle (K reg so presuming a 93) was that it is 24 spline at the diff end where as the old drum axle half shafts (1986 D90) are actually 10 spline at the diff hence the question to make sure they were the same ratio.

Now to get it shot blasted and primered! :D (simple things please simple minds my misses keeps telling me!)

Thanks again Ralph, I hope to catch you out with part numbers some time soon! :P

All the best.

Grant

To answer the first question. Yes I was working nights!!, otherwise I would have been out cold or still in the pub or possible both, which is the plan for next weekend.

You mentioned it came of a vehicle with air suspension so it may be worth checking the spring mounts are the same.

Never looked closely at a air suspension axle but the basic set up is the same so even if the mount is slightly different it shouldn't take much work to modify it. Worth doing before you get the axle shot blasted and primered though.