what does veg oil do to diesel? or does diesel go off?

gav-

is there a change in viscosity when mixing veg oil and diesel together?

i added some fuel from my disco (which had some veg oil in it) i to a common rail diesel car. I have been having fuel problems with the car cutting out when you floor it. It seems to be getting less frequent now that I am putting in clean fuel. And this has made me think of the effects of veg oil and diesel.

anyone know?

veg and common rail do not go well together.

it is suitable for rotary FIP as fitted to TDI engined vehicles.

the oil needs to be heated to give the same viscosity as Diesel.

there is a wealth of info available HERE

After a period running with twin tanks on my TDi I decided to remove the entire set up and switch back to neat diesel.

the savings were not worth the outlay and ongoing concerns over rising engine oil levels and in the end I couldn't be bothered.

thansk for the reply, i have found a post from that website. fingers crossed then that flushing through with new diesel will have cured it. thanks for the post.

The veg oil has a habit of cleaning through the system and leaving all the crud in the fuel filter.

Changing the filter may help.

I have found 25% SVO & 75% diesel definitely improves performance & Economy (specially with the SVO at 54p litre)

At the moment I'm running 100% biodiesel. 62p/l. For offroad use only :P :P . All runs the same. No loss of power or any other problems. Only downside is a slight whiff of something every now and again ;) ;) .

Bio should be the same/similar to diesel as it has been blended

through transferification <sp>

SVO is just veg/corn/sunflower oil and should be heated to get the viscosity that nearer diesel.

otherwise an engine demise is a possibility after the engine oil turns to sludge

i've run a 30% SVO - 70% diesel mix (sometimes upto 50-50 when its warm) first in my old 110 Tdi and my current Disco, in total about 5 years and 80,000 miles between the two trucks, I don't recall any problems with rising engine oil levels, the only problem i've had is the SVO rotted the injector leak-off hoses on my defender.. total cost toreplace £2..

I know the rising oil level thing is very real, but it has never happened to me...

After I just replaced the engine I decided to keep it diesel

on cleaning the old head, lapping in the valves etc

there was a bit of crud on the valve stems and in the ports on the head

nothing to cause concern, although I did have the rising oil level on my old engine.

and waxing in the winter on veg.

lots of people do it and now you aren't taxed on SVO/Wvo there are saving to be made.

and waxing in the winter on veg.

I've had trouble starting it on veg-derv mix when its really cold, so i tend to run a weaker mix over the winter (down to 10% veg - 90% derv) as I don't think it does the lift pump any good, trying to pull thick, congealed veg oil up from the tank..

i have heard that a splash of petrol solves these problems, so might try that...

When it is below freezing i always run 100% derv...

I've had trouble starting it on veg-derv mix when its really cold, so i tend to run a weaker mix over the winter (down to 10% veg - 90% derv) as I don't think it does the lift pump any good, trying to pull thick, congealed veg oil up from the tank..

i have heard that a splash of petrol solves these problems, so might try that...

When it is below freezing i always run 100% derv...

I run my Land Cruiser on 60% SVO, I know some one who runs same vehicle on 80%. will drop it a bit when it gets colder.

We use to add Petrol to my Recovery lorries in Winter if very cold.

Peter

Neil

worth while watching the engine oil level though

if it starts to rise, an oil change is required.

this is what I got fed up with even running a twin tank system

Hadn't heard about this before :blink:

What causes the engine oil level to rise?

Is it really worth all the bother? There are so many people even over here wanting to run waste vegetable oil that sooner or later it will be difficult to secure a reliable on going supply. I don't know what new vegitable oil sells for in the UK but here I think even the cheapest no name supermarket brand is more expensive per litre than Deisel.I must check that next time I am at the supermarket.

Bill.