A vent I've seen...where can I get it?

Hi guys

While looking for a 90 for a friend I saw this vent on one (attached) and thought "MY!! that should stop the heater (and in turn the cab) filling with water when wading!" B)

So anybody know what they're called and where they can be found?

Cheers

Wouldn't bother. Just ensure the little grommet which lets the water drain out of the entrance to the heater duct is free from rubbish (cleaned mine out this weekend - full of crud). Just remove the wing cover and put your hand in there towards the heater and pull it out, clean and then put it back in.

Agreed. They are a snow cover and will not do anything better than a correctly functioning drain would do.

The rubber bulb in mine got hard years ago and is now perminantly open so there is never any chance of a build up of muck or water.

If you really feel the need for one any ex-MOD dealer should be able to help, certainly Blanchfords show them in their adverts in the LR magazines.

Ok cheers, however if possible I want to in some way stop the water pooring through the vents into the cab once the bonnet goes under the water <_< and that vent (at least in my newbie mind) looked like it would work like a toilet u-bend in reverse keeping water out, so long as the fan isn't on!....does that make sense?? If so do you think it would work?

Surley removing the drain plug will just help it get in faster?

Or is wet legs something I have to accept? :rolleyes:

Thanks again

Sharpy

Ok cheers, however if possible I want to in some way stop the water pooring through the vents into the cab once the bonnet goes under the water <_< and that vent (at least in my newbie mind) looked like it would work like a toilet u-bend in reverse keeping water out, so long as the fan isn't on!....does that make sense?? If so do you think it would work?

Surley removing the drain plug will just help it get in faster?

Or is wet legs something I have to accept? :rolleyes:

Thanks again

Sharpy

Problem is that you would still have the opening under water - and if air can get in so can water. The only way to stop water getting in at all whould be a high level intake like a snorkel.

Guest diesel_jim

I have one of these on my 90. IMO one of the best mods i've done to it!

yeah,you can make sure the drain bung is clear/removed etc (done both on mine) but you only need to go through a "deep" splash (and i don't usually race through water at all) or just gently and get in a bit deep over the wing, and the heater WILL take a mouthfull of water,regardless of the drain bung or not.

this stopped it straight away. as a test i even tried the "camel trophy Mk1 method of river crossing" where i couldn't see a damn thing because of the bow wave, and my windscreen stayed condensation free!

And if your truck is one that's always covered in an inch of mud, then it stops the mud getting "washed" down through the heater ducting and eventually jamming up the matrix/motor (had that on my old 90, a right PITA!)

Problem is that you would still have the opening under water - and if air can get in so can water. The only way to stop water getting in at all whould be a high level intake like a snorkel.

I'd thought sbout a series style snorkel that goes in the top of the wing...then I saw this /\ /\ /\

I have one of these on my 90. IMO one of the best mods i've done to it!

yeah,you can make sure the drain bung is clear/removed etc (done both on mine) but you only need to go through a "deep" splash (and i don't usually race through water at all) or just gently and get in a bit deep over the wing, and the heater WILL take a mouthfull of water,regardless of the drain bung or not.

this stopped it straight away. as a test i even tried the "camel trophy Mk1 method of river crossing" where i couldn't see a damn thing because of the bow wave, and my windscreen stayed condensation free!

And if your truck is one that's always covered in an inch of mud, then it stops the mud getting "washed" down through the heater ducting and eventually jamming up the matrix/motor (had that on my old 90, a right PITA!)

Yea getting wet shinns (like a tap being turned on thru the vent TBF) was one thing but then steamed up glass for a couple of days was quite annoying!!

So they work then? here's the video of why my vents were filling up http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd241/9...=Picture033.flv

Cheers