Belgium digital maps

Peter

Has anyone got (they'd will let me copy), upto date digitialised maps of Belgium.

This is for use with Memory-Map. Idealy 1:20,000. Am interested in 40+ miles radius of Ypres (Leper) at the moment. But also got maket for whole of Belgium too.

I am led to believe these maps are available from NGI in Belgium, but don't want to have to scan them in and cut and paste them if I don't have to. As is a hell of alot of work.

Not interested in TomTom style rubbish - want them specifically for Laning, and of as high detail as 1:25000 OS map.

Perhaps someone who has done competitions or laning out there themselves.

Finger crossed.

Lots of these maps are not available in digital format.

There is however an answer :)

we get map maps drum scanned on to disc and then Geo reference them to work with MM, but you can do the same with Ozi or anyother.

Jim :)

Ps; You have just got find a friend with a drum scanner at work :rolleyes:

Jim,

Thanks for your post, although have no idea what your talking about Jim - too many technical terms. And how do you do it without Bren being there now or is he ? BTW need to get pair of 764's off of you this week though to replace the stiffer 762's ;)

Anyway could'nt wait on an answer, so whilst not busy at work - as per usual :rolleyes: , have been looking into this.

Short of buying the maps and scanning them in - which as mentioned is like re-inventing the wheel, there are 2 solutions that I have found.

1st solutuion: Already works with Memory Map, and covers the map area 28 in Belgium which is Ypres (Leper to locals), And comes with 1:25000 (high detail) map of north east france. as well as many many 1:20,000 antiquity Trench maps from 1st world war. Web link: http://www.greatwardigital.com/scope.shtml

2nd solution is the 1:50,000 digitalised maps that are produced on DVD with a similar feel as Memory Map, covers both north and south I believe and are well cheap. Shame its not in English, but give me an excuse to learn the lingo. Web link: http://www.ngi.be/NL/NL1-10.shtm

As far as Laning goes, are going with locals so should be okay or not as look what happened when I took them laning:

normal_IMG_0034.JPG

normal_IMG_0026.JPG

No just re-read your reply Jim and it makes sense, just got to fill in the missing words.

Ozi as in Australia Ozi ? Confused me.

2nd solution is the 1:50,000 digitalised maps that are produced on DVD with a similar feel as Memory Map, covers both north and south I believe and are well cheap. Shame its not in English, but give me an excuse to learn the lingo. Web link: http://www.ngi.be/NL/NL1-10.shtm

The DVD for this turned up this morning, they are obviously very trust worthy as have not even paid for it yet, just sent an invoice with the disc - Full install is 2 GB and it asks if you want the Dutch, French or English version.

Which is handy as don't have to translate all the menu buttons. For 54 euros this seems to be a bargain - could you imagine getting half the 1:50,000 of all UK from MM for that. It is similar to memory map but not the same, can export to PDA and create routes. And obviously track where you are with a plug in GPS unit. Its not perfect, but for tracking where you are in relationship to geographical features is excellent. As you can tell I'm not into TomTom - unless its for traversing London by car. :D