4 spd zf to 200 tdi ?

Generally what fitted a V8 won't fit a 200Tdi, don't know whether it's same with autos. Another problem is that the V8 gear change points will be totally wrong for a diesel, can be changed but probably better to get a diesel auto box. Actual final drive ratios will be sorted in the transfer box. The 200Tdi and auto combination wasn't rated as great, 300 was a bit of an improvement but remember my brother in law thrashing his auto discovery to get decent progress.

I've just put a V8 ZF box behind a 300Tdi, with mixed results.

The setup now works well, the shift points are fine for a Tdi and it kicks down when asked, it works well on the road and has all the expected benefits of a torque converter offroad. In low range the shifts are harsh but it does everything it says on the tin and the engine braking is not too bad too. The only limit is on top-end speed: if you're on the motorway at 80mph and want to go faster, you put your foot down and it shifts to third which is "exciting" for the little diesel beetling away up front. Overall I'm very pleased with it, perhaps a little thrashy but I'm planning a higher-ratio t-box to help that.

Installing it was rather harder though. You need a converter ring to mate the bellhousing to the Tdi flywheel housing and it should come with a solution to bolt up the innards. I've got a flywheel, flex plate and torque converter but I think the factory ones use a light-weight 'starter ring' instead of the flywheel and I've heard of solutions which bolt the t/c straight to the flywheel. Mine was harder because it was a 200Tdi kit and didn't have all the bits I need but (touch wood, fingers crossed) it's all in and working now.

I'm in Bristol if you'd like to come for a look.

I've just put a V8 ZF box behind a 300Tdi, with mixed results.

The setup now works well, the shift points are fine for a Tdi and it kicks down when asked, it works well on the road and has all the expected benefits of a torque converter offroad. In low range the shifts are harsh but it does everything it says on the tin and the engine braking is not too bad too. The only limit is on top-end speed: if you're on the motorway at 80mph and want to go faster, you put your foot down and it shifts to third which is "exciting" for the little diesel beetling away up front. Overall I'm very pleased with it, perhaps a little thrashy but I'm planning a higher-ratio t-box to help that.

Installing it was rather harder though. You need a converter ring to mate the bellhousing to the Tdi flywheel housing and it should come with a solution to bolt up the innards. I've got a flywheel, flex plate and torque converter but I think the factory ones use a light-weight 'starter ring' instead of the flywheel and I've heard of solutions which bolt the t/c straight to the flywheel. Mine was harder because it was a 200Tdi kit and didn't have all the bits I need but (touch wood, fingers crossed) it's all in and working now.

I'm in Bristol if you'd like to come for a look.

I've driven both 200 & 300 Tdi's and my own TGV engined 90 with autoboxes. As TC said they're a little bit more thrashy on road and the shift is a little harsh in low range. A lot of that comes down to how you set up the kick down cable, though.

The 200 tdi and auto combination gets a lot of stick that it doesn't deserve - it works fine if you tune the engine a bit.

The problem with doing a conversion such as you suggest is that the 200 Tdi auto engine backplate is very rare. IIRC this is the only part which isn't common between the 200 and 300 Tdi. Some of the other bits and peices are also a bit of a pig to find. IMHO sell the 200 tdi and LT77 and put it towards a complete 300 tdi and autobox. That way you get pretty much everything you need.