Sort of O/T - Boots

sheeppimp

• 2 weeks later...

I have recently got a pair of Danner Fort Lewis boots. I haven't had chance to use them in anger yet, but have been wearing them for a few days and they certainly seem up to the job. They are rather comfortable, more so than I was expecting, they are lighter and more supple than I expected. I suppose it helps they are 'pre-owened' and have been broken in. I don't have 200 quid to spend on boots but at $20 for some A1 grade used boots it seemed rude not to give them a try and I'm glad I did :)

Mark

I had a pair issued to me for work a few years back. Not that model though. Brilliant boots, comfy and did what they said on the box. BUT before the boot gave up the sole fell off :( . Apart from that I'd buy a pair again

That's a bit posh, I thought the best you got issued was pro-boots.

Altberg offer a resole service for various makes including Danner.

I'm liking these so much I'd contemplate getting a new pair if I really get on with them, but maye a slightly shorter boot like the Recon or Arcadia, at 10" the Fort Lewis are a bit high for general use but ideal for wading in mud/water when off roading.

That's a bit posh, I thought the best you got issued was pro-boots.

Altberg offer a resole service for various makes including Danner.

I'm liking these so much I'd contemplate getting a new pair if I really get on with them, but maye a slightly shorter boot like the Recon or Arcadia, at 10" the Fort Lewis are a bit high for general use but ideal for wading in mud/water when off roading.

I was lucky enough to be issued a pair of altberg's 6months ago and they are an awesome pair of boots B) would recoomend them to anyone ;) i think the ones i have are called peace keepers or something like that :huh:

Still got the Matterhorns that I was issued for Bosnia in the winter of 1996. Brilliant for long cold stints in a Warrior turret or on stag and for winter offroading. Completely waterproof with good Goretex lining.

Lousy, however, if you want to walk more than a couple of hundred metres; leather is very soft once broken in (hence good in the cab), offering not much support on rough ground and the Thinsulate insulation is so good that it feels as though your feet are in saunas - blister city !

Not cheap, either.