Grid references

tedsmart

Hi everyone hows it going?

Does anyone know or have experience of plotting tracks on a GPS unit?

I was wondering if its better to put a waypoint at the start and finish of a track or at every turn, or possible turn on a map? Does it matter! I guess it does because I'm limited to 500 waypoints on the unit I'm using (Garmin nuvi 250) very cofusing I know.

For instance if I was driving on a track and there was no turn offs I would only need one at the start and one at the finish or is this too simplistic!

Makes sence to me but there again that doesn't meen much!!!

Any help would be great Thanks, Ted.

Hi Ted,

You should be able to convert tracks into routes? however i am not keyed up on your unit.

If you really want to stack and store route cards, your best bet would be to link your gps to a laptop or similair and run a program such as Ozi-explorer, this would allow the you to convert happily and will add or subtract waypoints to your routes as you desire.

Sorry i can not help more. Maybe on Outer limits someone might be more clued up on this unit?

Best of luck

Jim :)

Look very carefully in the user options, my Garmin 162 gives me the option to generate a "breadcrumb" trail which is visible on the screen and can be saved to my laptop.

These trails or tracks were handy to download when I needed to follow a complicated route through the dunes to a particular campsite.

jw

Hi Ted,

You should be able to convert tracks into routes? however i am not keyed up on your unit.

If you really want to stack and store route cards, your best bet would be to link your gps to a laptop or similair and run a program such as Ozi-explorer, this would allow the you to convert happily and will add or subtract waypoints to your routes as you desire.

Sorry i can not help more. Maybe on Outer limits someone might be more clued up on this unit?

Best of luck

Jim :)

Thanks for the reply! Quite a few have suggested a PC laptop/ tough book, I'll have to look in to it. Thanks again