Rear Cross-member - generic part

Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a replacement crossmember for my 110 which has the extensions to allow welding onto the existing chassis. My local welding person has quite rightly noted that the new part does not come with the floor support brackets attached so I queried this with my friendly parts supplier who explained that this is quite normal and that people generally fabricate these components from scratch or cut off the old ones and re-weld them in place. Does anyone have experience of this and who could offer advice about how to fabricate these or if they can be bought as a seperate part?

Thanks

Ged

Doesn't sound right Ged..

All of the posts I've seen where others have completed the change over have had the tabs and each person has used these tabs to bolt the cross-member in place to get alignment and then weld up on the chassis rails.

Is your parts man able to challenge and get you a replacement with tabs ?

Neil

Mark, yes the latter. These are the upside down 'U' shaped brackets which to which are welded on top of the chassis and welded to the channel that supports the floor. It seems to me that when you cut the rear cross member off, the location of the cut falls directly between these brackets which makes me wonder how one addresses the issue of replacing them. My local garage are not particularly happy about cutting these off and trying to reposition them on the new piece of chassis. Interestingly, my UK supplier says that the 90 replacement crossmember comes with the bracktes attached but not the 110 one.

i dont know if these pics are any good to you,

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/C...ions_-_110.html

http://www.paddockspares.com/pp/DEFENDER/C...tions_-_90.html

i`ve got a paddocks 90 x-member with extensions in the garage waiting to be fitted, you`ve got me wondering now.............. but its too dark + cold to look now... :(

The floor support brackets don't come with any crossmember I've replaced. You have to cut the old ones off and weld them to the new crossmember. To the right of this picture -

med_gallery_2_28_181586.jpg

Half on the old chassis and half on the new, so you don't cut it completely off, just the welds towards the rear.

Les,

Thanks very much Les - as they say, a picture paints a thousand words. Mind you, why on earth these aren't included with the x-member I don't know and certainly no reflection on your welding skills either but it does look a bit of a mess at the rear end.

The main issue in France is that the law is (apparently) very unforgiving on inappropriate welding and if such is discovered during the equivalent of the MOT (Control Techinque) the tester can notify the appropriate body and criminal procedings entered into. Hence the reluctance of the garage to carry out the work. This may be a case of 'Plan B' and plate the chassis.

Thanks very much Les - as they say, a picture paints a thousand words. Mind you, why on earth these aren't included with the x-member I don't know and certainly no reflection on your welding skills either but it does look a bit of a mess at the rear end.

The main issue in France is that the law is (apparently) very unforgiving on inappropriate welding and if such is discovered during the equivalent of the MOT (Control Techinque) the tester can notify the appropriate body and criminal procedings entered into. Hence the reluctance of the garage to carry out the work. This may be a case of 'Plan B' and plate the chassis.

Hi the 110 crossmember is available with the said tables in place it mounts right behind the spring mount almost a quarter chassis i have seen them at Liveridge 4x4 in Solihull B)

If you get them to QUOTE I would say it would be worth it. When we did mine a few months ago we found some extra speed holes back there, which meant extra fabrication was needed, extended the job time quite a bit.

It's also a rubbish job with weld landing on you a lot, loads of grinding, dirt, dust, bit of wiring that need doing.

Not especially technical, just laborious when we did it.

If it's an estimate, I'd watch it, if they find extra problems and the x member is already off, you don't have a good bargaining opportunity and can find it difficult to try and get it to somewhere else and get it done.

Sounds like I'm being stuffed. I didn't think that it was that expensive at the time given the hassle of removing the tank, sorting out the tow bar etc and its not a job that I could do myself anyway. A day trip to the UK is not on the horizon - I've not been back for nearly 3 years and frankly the thought of UK roads terrifies the cr*p out of me.

I suspect that the garage is being caution as they have not done one before - familiarity and all that. I'll see if I can negotiate a bit!

Ged