TD5 Sunroof

enduro1972uk

Hi there, ive just found and joined this forum which looks like its friendly and informative.

However i have been searching through the various sections to discover that people have had/got the same problem as me.

The first time it happened i was totally shocked as i was unaware of the problem, I got up one morning it was raining as it does a proceeded to go down the hill out of my village and woosh i got a load of water come pouring out of the head lining and running off the rear view mirror.

Now this is not what you would expect from a at the time of purchase £20K 2002 TD5 ES, i talked to few people who told me that it was a common problem and just try and unblock the drain holes.

Well me and the missus have spent hours looking for the things without any luck, does anybody know exactly were they are or even better have a photo of were they are.

We recently bought a Freelander 2004 TD4 HSE to keep our disco company when i spoke to the salesman he also said it was a common problem and said for £300 + vat he would have somebody investigate the problem then i would pay further for any more parts and labour. I would much rather try and fix the problem myself than give them more of my hard earned cash.

Many thanks, will have a look to see if i can find them.

You can remove the finishing piece around the headlining and pull it down enough to see if the pipes have come adrift. Removal of the sunroof is fairly straightforward - just fiddly if you don't remove the headlining.

My sunroof had jammed open and I had to remove and strip it down to sort it out. Turned out to be a sycamore seed jammed in there. Should have some pictures somewhere if you need them

John

You can remove the finishing piece around the headlining and pull it down enough to see if the pipes have come adrift. Removal of the sunroof is fairly straightforward - just fiddly if you don't remove the headlining.

My sunroof had jammed open and I had to remove and strip it down to sort it out. Turned out to be a sycamore seed jammed in there. Should have some pictures somewhere if you need them

John

Some pictures would be fantastic.

I've not seen one yet that doesn't leak - I know someone who brought a brand new one and theirs leaked the first time it rained

I also know someone who thought they'd be clever and have a new one without sunroofs to eliminate half the problem and theirs leaked through the roof rail mounts

Sorry about the delay for the pictures. I couldn't find which memory card they were on :o

Link for the pictures http://community.webshots.com/user/MRDIITD5?vhost=community

If you are stripping the mechanism down (easy peasy honest) then do one side at a time so that you have a point of reference for reassembly. The rave cd reccommends that you put the glass on after you have refitted the sunroof to the vehicle. I found that it was easier to position the glass more accurately whilst the sunroof was on a workbench.

Before you fit the sunroof, put a good size bead of mastic on the plastic surround that comes into contact with the roof. When you tighten the undertray to the sunroof, excess mastic will be squeezed out and is best cleaned off when it has cured.

Cheers

John