Power loss on hills

I have a 1988 2.5 petrol 90 and use it to make runs to the tip or go down our allotment.

However, the other day needed to go somewhere down the motorway.

I've found my 90 makes up it's own speeds and that's fine with me and usually coast along at 65 without a problem.

But living in High Wycombe (based in a valley) it can get a bit hilly and I noticed that as I was going along the motorway I started going up quite a log hill, nothing too steep, and the car just started to slow down. The engine seemed to rattle a bit more as it found the going a bit harder but I was surprised just how slow we ended up going.

We got to the top of the hill, levelled off and the speed came back.

I know it's old and I don't expect wonders but does it sound like there's anything seriously wrong with it or is there anything I can do to try and remedy it short of replacing the engine?

Thanks

Steve

Major engine work can be uneconomical when alternative engines are so cheap.

Try servicing it first - oil, filters, plugs, cap, arm, check & adjust anything that the book says you should adjust (timing, tappets, carb) and see if it improves.

For the sheer bloody mindedness of it, I'd like to see someone supercharge one of those engines...

Major engine work can be uneconomical when alternative engines are so cheap.

Try servicing it first - oil, filters, plugs, cap, arm, check & adjust anything that the book says you should adjust (timing, tappets, carb) and see if it improves.

For the sheer bloody mindedness of it, I'd like to see someone supercharge one of those engines...

Thanks Fridge,

I was thinking about changing the filters and a few other bits anyway so I'll see how it goes.

I'm trying to avoid big expense bills as it was only cheap in the first place

Make sure you do *all* filters, a blocked fuel filter can really b*gger things up and most people don't change them... ever :rolleyes:

Right o, I'm replacing the rear cross member soon so the I can do it at the same time as the other half won't want me to go shopping if she knows I'm playing mechanic