ADRIAN FLUX 4X4 INSURANCE

D12MUD

I'd like to be with the NFU but as someone has already said it depends on your local office if they will let you, mine unfortunately won't insure my modded Defender.

You dont have to use your local office. You could quite reasonably phone any of the other offices in the region near you, or the central office that you get if you go to their website - if it differs that much between offices, you'll find someone that will sort it out for you.

On the subject of automatic renewal. I had my renewal quote from AF last week with the note at the end that as a valued customer etc: etc: If I found a cheaper quote they would do their best to match or better it. Surely this should be part of the brokers job before quoting. In any case, I did have a cheaper quote and called them, they re-quoted (by e'mail) at least £100 cheaper back with my existing insurer ERS instead of NIG who they had previously quoted.

OK, quote accepted they have now e'mailed the new policy documents all with NIG that they quoted in the first place.

In 43 years of driving I have insured with a number of companies and brokers including NFU. I have to say that AF are the most incompetent to date.

I had similar / worse with my works van. I was insured direct with the underwriter (can't remeber which one) and was shocked to see the premimum had gone up £300 since last year!!! I shopped around and finally got a quote £200 cheaper with a broker, but the same underwriter :unsure: . So I phoned the underwriter direct again and said 'what's going on, why can't you give me that price?' They said, give us all the cover details and we'll have a look at it and came back £30 higher than their original quote :blink: So I insured through the broker.

Generally I think all insurance companies are robbing scallies, but what can you do? AF have given me good service on my modified vehicles over the years, many companies deny all knowledge of the mods when you come to claim (I had this many years ago), but AF have never given me an issue.

I was with AF for a couple of years on both my Landy (with mods) and performance car.

They seemed to be okay though I didn't make a claim through them, that was until the following:

The landy was (supposed to be) insured for all mods including winch etc (I sent them a letter outlining all modifications/extras etc), yet after a year and on renewal they told me that my winch and winch bumper was not actually covered despite the fact that it was part of the listed items I had sent them when they quoted me!

Needless to say I was pretty pi$$ed off that I had gone a whole years insurance without actually being covered for items that I had submitted to be covered in the original quote...tut tut...

AF no more, I've been with NFU ever since, though even their prices appear to be creeping up as of late :(

NFU have added 'free' recovery to all of their policies. I questioned this at renewal time and said i didnt want it and would like a discount for not having it. Couldnt get them to remove it though - it is a bit annoying as i dont want it, but even though they state its free, its just in the price and i'm paying for it!

Speedy_Gonzalez: a lot of insurers dont actually insure the mods. They increase the premium due to additional risk of having the mods fitted, but the mods themselves arent covered, so in a claim situation they will simply pay out for a "standard" motor.

Its usually tucked away in the small print somewhere.

I positively hate insurance companies, they're ALL a bunch of b**tards.

Thing is, every time a thread on insurance comes up we all have a dig at the insurance companies (rightly so in most cases)

we all describe insurance companies as robbing sods (they are) and we know that in most cases they'll do everything they can to either not pay out, or give the smallest payout they can. and they seem to do everything in their power to come up with new and evermore technical (crappy) excuses to not pay out, all the while being rude and confusing and often insinuating you're a liar!

so bearing that in mind, if we know thats how they're going to behave we have to expect it and act accordingly

insurance is a necessary evil, which makes it even more important to check, check and check again exactly what you're covered for, and get it in writing. and when you do need to claim make sure you play them at their own game, read through your paperwork and make sure everything you tell them is in line with their regulations and requirements.

That is not advocating fraud by the way.

just make sure you do everything you can, to make sure they have as little excuse to get out of it as possible.

I changed to Adrian Flux last year, but this year I was going to switch again as the renewal premium was a bit steep, When I told them that I'd got a better quote they were able to beat it.

So far I have no cause for complaint with them, but I would say they charge a fair old whack for monthly instalments - not that it bothers me as I pay in one lump sum anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

If you read the small print you will find YOU have to tell them you dont want to renew, you would be bitching if they didnt renew it, and you needed it.

Quite correct bobtail4x4, read the small print, sadly however NO small print was sent. The first my sister knew about the renewal was after the event, hence my gripe. They also placed her with a credit company giving her no choice to pay the premium in full if she wished. In short, this was a product that was not wanted, requested, authorised or signed for.

I currently have my Landy insurance with Lancaster, they operate a automatic renewal system but at least they let you know what you are up for before renewing it. I can understand that there may be an occasional blip because of all the clients they deal with, but it is how they deal with the matter when the blip occurs, that is the important thing, in this case, they have fallen well short of good customer practice.

Their automatic renewal worked out quite nicely for us. Admittedly, our situation isn't exactly normal, but here goes...

Wifey and LittleSi were due to head out to Australia to meet me for a holiday and, last minute, I asked if both UK LR's insurance had been renewed. As you do.

Naturally, this sent wifey into a fit of hysteria with worry and me into some form of concern, but all was well as 'Flux just rolled the policies over without fuss. Even a mild discount as the 110's not doing anywhere near the mileage she once was.

Now, other insurance companies tend not to do this and it would have caused pandemonium at home with lapsed insurance at a critical time.

Nice one, AF!:)

AF no more, I've been with NFU ever since, though even their prices appear to be creeping up as of late :(

Yes I noticed my premium went up a bigger than expected lump this year. This was after I was awarded my 20 year Mutual Bonus of £78

Yes I noticed my premium went up a bigger than expected lump this year. .......

Mine too - about another £30.00 Apparently we are now paying £44 pa for uninsured drivers instead of the £30 twelve months ago.

They're making the good guys pay for the bad guys, whilst letting the latter off lightly.