front shocks..... removal

gelf

ive got to get the front shocks off my 110..... looking at them they could be the originals :D .

theres no way the nuts are gonna come off.... tops ones could be cut off but what about the bottom ones..... how do i get them off??

If you cannot restrain the shock and just turn the nuts (which I know is not easy, an oil filter chain wrench is best), you could get a small reciprocating saw in there and cut the studs off. Apply copper grease to the new ones to save this question being repeated in a few years time. :)

Chris

Air chisel,is what I used on the nuts on mine.

Paul

Assuming you mean the very bottom nut that attaches the shock to the axle casing, Run a hacksaw down the side of the threaded section. It should sufficiently weaken it to allow you twist it off. That's a last ditch effort mind you, good dose of penetrating oil allowed to soak in, and a chisel and hammer to 'crack' the rust, then try with the spanners.

Hold the bottom nut with a ring-spanner (let it jam against the axle-bracket) and put a pair of Stilsons through the spring, turn the lower body of the shock instead of the nut and hey presto, even the most siezed shock will come off.

Of course this trick only works if you are happy to destroy the shock but most of the time the shock is being removed to be replaced with a new one anyway and if the shock had been recently fitted (and the threads correctly greased at the time) removal shouldn't be a problem anyway.

1) Drill a vertical line of approx. 4 mm holes into the nut using an ordinary electrical drill.

2) Hammer a flat chisel into the line of holes until it hits the threaded stud that forms the end of the shock, then withdraw it.

3) Then the nut will unscrew real easy.

If you apply an angle grinder or anything else that spews metal bits all over the place, be carefull to cover the generator, engine inlet manifold etc. first.

Hold the bottom nut with a ring-spanner (let it jam against the axle-bracket) and put a pair of Stilsons through the spring, turn the lower body of the shock instead of the nut and hey presto, even the most siezed shock will come off.

Of course this trick only works if you are happy to destroy the shock but most of the time the shock is being removed to be replaced

Or in some cases the shock body completely rips apart while the nut stays in place :rolleyes::rolleyes: For Neil's, V8Freak, after bending a G clamp in this manner he used a nut splitter which was easy and seeing as we didn't have a blow torch to hand was also good! ;)

tychoS, I'd like to see anyone get an angle grinder on the bottom nut :lol: Maybe if they don't need their lower spring mounts anymore they could use that method. ;);)

Cheers

Steve