Trolley jack

TheBeastie

I am looking for a trolley jack to add to my kit for working on The Beastie.

Does this one sound suitable to you guys?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...nsmission-jacks

I wondered if 2 tons was adequate and whether this looked a reasonable deal. Have tried looking for advice but simply seems to say you will regret going too cheap. THis one doesn't seem too cheap but have never bought one before!!

Any comments most appreciated

Thanks

Malcy

I am looking for a trolley jack to add to my kit for working on The Beastie.

Does this one sound suitable to you guys?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/...nsmission-jacks

I wondered if 2 tons was adequate and whether this looked a reasonable deal. Have tried looking for advice but simply seems to say you will regret going too cheap. THis one doesn't seem too cheap but have never bought one before!!

Any comments most appreciated

Thanks

Malcy

If it's your only one to work on a Landrover I would go for a bigger one. Generally I use a 5 Tonne one, lifts higher and is more stable, but I do have a little 2 tonne one I carry when I am out as it works easier than trying to use the stupid standard one and I don't like high lifts very much. It's all a bit of personal taste and the amount you will be using it, the old adage of "you get what you pay for " applies.

Yep, looks about just the same as mine.

2T is adequate, you just might feel like your pushing it a bit much, but you are only trying to lift a corner? I generally lift one corner, then insert an axle stand (ones with a fairly wide base are better) and then lift the other corner. IO just wish I wasn't working on a side-sloped driveway ;)

Hi

Forget clarke its cr@p! if you go to costco they are selling a 3ton super low height quick lift jack, its £57 and if you lift a 109 under the front diff it will lift it till theres about 10" under the front tyres! This jack seems very well made and comes with a 2 yr warranty i think

Mike

I've been using a cheap (£17.99) 2 ton trolley jack for about 5 years. It's nowhere near fully loaded, i've have to try to lift the whole defender in one go to get it overloaded... I lift one end at a time under the diff, er... thats the only place it reaches to with 35" tyres. So don't be a brand snob. Theres nowt wrong with Clarke stuff.

Super-low is good if you are using it on cars and the like, but if it's mainly for use on a 4x4, then there's no point paying the extra premium that a super-low one demands. I have this one:

Clarke at Machine Mart

and if it hadn't come as a present, it would have been high on the list of favourites.

Clarke might not be the best make, but affordability is good and even after a year of ownership and no receipt, Machine Mart still replaced mine when it went wrong - FOC

At the end of the day, I use the standard bottle jack more than I do the trolley jack. It's much more stable and has a shaped head that fits around the axle better.

Just my 2p...

Hi

Forget clarke its cr@p! if you go to costco they are selling a 3ton super low height quick lift jack, its £57 and if you lift a 109 under the front diff it will lift it till theres about 10" under the front tyres! This jack seems very well made and comes with a 2 yr warranty i think

Mike

i got one of those a few weeks ago, its pretty good, starts lower and lifts higher than the equivalent clarke ones. low lift is good as you can stick a hefty block of wood on the saddle and your 50 mm advantage is not a 200mm advantage.. also helpful if you occasionally work on normal low cars although you couldn't ever shove it too far under at its lowest height. downside is that its exceptionally heavy, maybe 60kgs. some folk say control isn't that good on lowering, but you just have to be very careful.

big long clarke one would be nice if you have the money/space.

I have a rapid lift jack from machinemart - they are cheap and as long as they last outside the guarantee period I don't mind as I should replace it that often anyway considering how often I use it. 2-tons is plenty for use on a L/R the most you will do is lift the whole front or rear end, which is within the capabilities of the jack by a good margin. I don't like those axle stands though - they are very strong, but you have to raise the jack a long way before you can move them up a notch, which is a waste of time. I also have a 360deg jack - it can be pumped up from any direction. I also have a jack that is also an axle stand - you have to pull a lever before it will go down. I also have a pair of flat ramps - you drive onto them and then pump them up until they lock in position as a normal car ramp. I also have a 4-ton bottle jack, and a set of normal car ramps. :D

(you can never have enough jacks!)

Les.

I was just going off my personal experience of using the clarke lifting gear, i think i had to take my jack back about 3 times before i gave up and binned it, i know a few people who had the same experience, as for brand snobbery, all my clarke stuff seemed to work well initially then go rapidly down hill so i stopped buying it, if i need new tools now i get halford pro. they have a lifetime guarantee, the cheap yellow halfords trolley jack i bought when i started working on cars aged 14 is still going strong despite some seriously heavy use!

Have to agree Les, i too have a small jack collection and some ramps, i seem to find myself collecting axle stands too... i think i have about 9 sets, pity they are all 'trapped' under other peoples projects :)

Bit of a change of topic, but can anyone point me to a very long reach jack for as little cash as possible?

I need to lift my Mog and my current jack is about 18" short of reaching the axle...

(Cheap big axles stands also good).

Cheers, Al.

Bit of a change of topic, but can anyone point me to a very long reach jack for as little cash as possible?

I need to lift my Mog and my current jack is about 18" short of reaching the axle...

(Cheap big axles stands also good).

Cheers, Al.

This works pretty well

post-16-1191257636_thumb.jpg

Its a regular 2-3 tonne trolley jack. Remove the saddle - put in a 12" extension tube - replace the saddle.

I've got a mahoosive set of axle stands, when I get them back off of loan - I can store them in your workshop :D

I doubt they see much wear and tear there ;):lol:;)

Thanks for the input guys. It is much appreciated.

Following various recommendations and also a good review I saw in LRO I opted for the Clarkes 3 ton quick lift from MachineMart.

Pretty good service - ordered on Tuesday and delivered on Friday. Will try out tomorrow since this morning was fitting new rear NAS units and the afternoon needs to see the grass getting cut.

THanks again. Best wishes

Malcy