Tyre Wear

IainDB

I am sure that it's going to be the tracking out causing the problem.

The inside edge of the near side front tyre has become non-existant :o but the outside edge is like new, on the off side the tyre is wearing evenly. Would you say it was the tracking or could it be something else? She pulls in a straight line whilst driving, and no serious shuddering can be felt a slight one appears when I hit 70 or above (if I dare!!!).

Also if it's the tracking am I able to set it up myself? I used to have a Vauxhall Frontera (sorry guys n gals!) came round in the end though! But I could set the tracking up myself by carefully measuring from track rod end to track rod end and ensuring it was a set distance. Is this possible with the discovery? What are the measurements?

Any help would be great!

A lot of wear on the inside of only one of the tyres on the same axle would normally indicate a lot of negative camber on that wheel. Given that adjusting it on a Disco involves pulling half the hub apart and fitting special shims, I'd be looking at dodgy swivels or wheel bearings or a similar wear-out/loosen-off issue.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

the n/s hub seal is dry but the drivers side is not.

I am going to try replacing bearings, the cv joints which need replacing and also get the full hub seal kit. When it's put all back together I am aware there should be a resistance amount from the swivel on the ball but I can't remember what the weight is. I had to do this on a Range Rover about five years ago.

Can anyone tell me what the resistance should be?

Thanks

Iain

Thanks! Will have fun at some point!!! With the hubs.

More pressingly the radiator which has been nursed with two bottles of rad weld decided to literally crumble to pieces on the M4 today, leaving me at a very gentle 50mph all the way home stopping regularly to allow her to cool. No water is never good for them!!! So does anyone know of anywhere in the Swindon area I can pick up a rad for a 200tdi? New or used. Have found a place in stroud that does them new for £100 so if anyone can better please let me know!

Thanks