front stub axil

clem

hello everyone i need some advice on removing the oil seal from the front stub axil so it can be changed on my L 93 defenfer.Reason i am doing this is because of oil leaking out from the spline ware the dust cover fits.Am i looking to far indepth cauld it just be the hub seal.any advice would be brill.

Thanks ones again steve.

Guest diesel_jim

Take a look in the tech archive., you'll find a title "Hub replacement,by Les Henson" scroll down the page and you'll see how the seal is fitted.

to remove the seal, like you asked, strip the hub down to the point where you remove the hub, then pull the seal out with a screwdriver/pliers etc. i find a large pair of pipe grips used as a lever inside the seal just "hoiks" it out nicely.

Guest diesel_jim

Ahh.... the one actually inside the stub?

You have to strip the whole assembly down as per Mr hensons description, then undo the 6 bolts that hold the stub axle in place.

once you've got it off (you may need to persuade it with a soft face mallet to come away from the axle) you'll see a bronze bush, this needs to be removed, either by levering, or banging a long drift down the length of the stub tube (from the "outside" towards the inside) to knock it out.

then change the seal and tap the bush back in place.

here's an exploded view of the stub:

post-130-1191184772_thumb.jpg

Ahh.... the one actually inside the stub?

You have to strip the whole assembly down as per Mr hensons description, then undo the 6 bolts that hold the stub axle in place.

once you've got it off (you may need to persuade it with a soft face mallet to come away from the axle) you'll see a bronze bush, this needs to be removed, either by levering, or banging a long drift down the length of the stub tube (from the "outside" towards the inside) to knock it out.

then change the seal and tap the bush back in place.

here's an exploded view of the stub:

post-130-1191184772_thumb.jpg

Thanks for replying so soon. Are you saying knock the seal & needle bearing & bronze bush all out in a one ha cos the bearing needs to come out before the seal & bronze bush before the bearing. sorry if i'm being a pain. Would this seal cause oil to seep forward into the hub bearings & out onto the wheel itself or cauld it be that the hub oil seal my only need replacing.