200tdi Cutting Out

Morning all,

Just got into work after a little bit of hassle with the Landrover. It's a 1983 110 fitted with a discovery 200tdi. Driving along at about 40mph the engine suddenly started to lose power and as I slowed down to a stop it cut out. It wouldn't restart immediately but after about a minutes wait it started with a bit of a struggle - held the starter in for quite a while and pumped the accelerator. Drove off fine and then repeated the fault about 3/4 mile later. In total it did this 3 times on the way in. Any ideas? The fuel level is low and I wondered if it might be muck in the tank or pipe.

Cheers

Ed

Guest diesel_jim

when it cuts out, remove the filler cap... is there a "whoosht" of air? could be the breather blocked in the cap causing a vacuum inthe tank.

Thanks for the ideas, hadn't thought of the filler cap one. There was a funny whoosh type sound when I was driving along at one point (before this happened) but I put it down to the air brakes on the truck in front.

First thing I did when I got into work was order a new fuel filter! Also my boss has a spare truck filter & mounting lying around. So will probably fit that at some point in the future.

Thanks

Ed

was it a petrol before the conversion?

if so the pickup is the issue, the pump and filter on the end prob restricting flow as low fuel level.

Having said that has it always done it when you have been low on fuel or just recently? if recently then ^^^^

If it's a sudden fuel starvation (like you've left it in gear and switched the ignition off) check the wire to the stop solenoid. If the connector is dirty/wet/corroded it can stop you intermittently.

Cheers,

It was a petrol before. It may be the first time it has run this low. When we picked it up it was reading zero but we only travelled a few hundred yards downhill to get to the petrol station. The gauge at the time seemed to have only two settings - zero or full! Now it seems to be reading a bit more accurately. :rolleyes:

Managed to limp it around to the nearest petrol station last night. Tried to stall on me twice but managed to keep it running by dipping the clutch and flooring the accelerator. Checked Jim's idea of blocked breather by taking it off when it happened, no whoosh of air. Filled it up and it behaved perfectly the whole way home! Brought it in this morning and touch wood it's behaving itself. :rolleyes::) So I'm guessing at it being either muck in the fuel or it doesn't like the fuel going that low. When I get a spare weekend I'll take the tank out and give it a clean. In the meantime I'll make sure never to let it go below half a tank! :D:P

Thanks

Ed

the point i was was making and you seem to confirm is that the pickup issue from the tank.

you will need to remove the petrol pickup and replace it with a diesel one, there will be a small electric pump on the end of the petrol pickup with a gauze filter that sits in the bottom of the tank. i dare say the pump is currently disconnected.

you need to remove the pump and the petrol pickup and fit a diesel pickup then issue will be resolved (i hope)

i had the same on a 110 that i converted from 2.5 petrol to a 300tdi. i ran sweet as anything as long as there was 1/8th + of fuel in it until the petrol pickup was changed over. in the end i used a diesel tdi spill return pipe as my pickup - worked a treat!

Thanks guys. I should be going down for old sodbury so will try and get a diesel pickup there. Another small job to add to the long list!!!

Thanks

Ed

Funny enough, I have one in my shed - brand new, can't remember the part number. Seemed to end up with two when the Mazda SL35Ti was swapped from my old RR to the 127" (neither vehicle I still own).

If you want to collect, as you are near Gloucester, you're welcome to it.

I mentioned the in tank pump, as when the 127" was converted, the pickup wasn't changed. Didn't cause a problem until the pump died of exhaustion - then I had to keep more than 1/3rd in the tank or the diesel lift pump couldn't pull fuel through the knackered petrol one! :o

Cheers,

Graham