Post up all those that have portal axles

MogLite

Come on then, who on here has got a pair of portal axles either under their truck, or under a tarp in the front garden ready to be fitted.

Lets hear about

• Base vehicle
  • Portal make
  • Home built/ or built for you
  • When will it be on the road
  • Tyre size

Just interested to know how many nutters are out there :)

Come on then - Mr "I have big toys"- what's a portal axle?

Is it something that transports the diff to the other side of the galaxy? Or maybe it just borrows energy from a parallel universe....

note to self - must stop reading sci fi / fanasy...

I am in the process of putting Volvo C303 portals on this:

taz90-1.JPG

The work is happening as I type this.

scorp1.jpg

Note winch is not one I am keeping and tow hitch is going (obviously)

I have a 90 for trials but am not allowed portals on it. :(

So I am building another. :)

I hope to have it completed to a good challenge spec for the end of the year.

Richard

I'm considering portals at the moment, I'm a big fan. They may or may not appear on the 90, I'm not sure yet. I've got of other things to think about at the moment. However, if I do go portal I'm tempted to try something that bolts onto Rover axles as mine will be strong enough by then.

Maxidrive do the bolt-on drop boxes for rover axles, but the price? :blink:

Also portals gearing reduces stress on the axles so they don't have to be so strong anyway.

Richard

Richard, I know about the MD kit but you're looking at about £5k for the kit! Still might go that way, though. 303s are a possibility but I'm not sure. The probability is they'll be hybrid axles if its anything.

Come on then, who on here has got a pair of portal axles either under their truck, or under a tarp in the front garden ready to be fitted.

Lets hear about

• Base vehicle
  • Portal make
  • Home built/ or built for you
  • When will it be on the road
  • Tyre size

Just interested to know how many nutters are out there :)

Well i am trying to buy a set at the moment but not having a huge amount of luck.

I know G2Far do em, but i would have to modify them for cooiler use and i just don't know if i have the time so i was trying to find a well setup pair that i can buy and bolt on (this might be a bit pie in the sky i know!). My current plan at the moment would be to have a week in Sweden and try and find somewhere that sells them- bring them back over here and get someone faintly knowledgeable to modify them and i'll oversee it!

Anyway once i have them they will be fitted to a Landranger 4x4 which has been making the rounds at the shows. hopefully will modify the kit so that it has a semi external roll cage rfor protection purposes. New 4.6 with high Cr, ported heads etc, running on lpg, through stock ZF auto box and T-box. Engine will run megasquirt with fully w/proofed electrics and raised everthing. The long term plan is to get a hydraulic PTO winch- so obviously need to make sure that the engine doesn't stop when under water (or mud or whatever). My plan is to build the most capable vehicle possible without going overboard, and then learn to drive it to the fullest extent- which is why it will need some pretty good external protection lol. Rollcage will be wielded on and then the whole lot will be galvanised (as long as I don't have any problems with gas expansion in the sealed tubes of the roll cage.) I did have some idea to use the roll cage as a powertank (as a couple of other people have done) but in my head i can't sort out the process of get the roll cage sealed, attached to vehicle, air points welded on, and pressure tested. If you think about the correct order and process is quite difficult to sort out seeing as you can't weld Galv (or at least not well AFAIK)!

Tyres- now there's a question! you can get some pretty good deals over from the US and i have access to a container that often comes over so i will probably buy some 37 or 38s on some of the the new Mach5s that i have heard will take 6 studs (this may just be a rumour mind!) Don't want to go too big as i think it will bugger up the steering geometary and the power steering pump too (which would be a hassle)

No idea when it is going to be on the road- could be 6 months or could be 2 years- need to finish the rebuild of a Stage 1 V8 first- then sell it to fund the progress on the Land ranger. So could be a while then! Just don't have the time to finish off the Stage 1 at the moment. I will have to spend a lot of money paying other people to sort out the land ranger and may have to go the same route with the stage 1- this isn't ideal but i just don't have the time at the evening or weekedns to do the work myself unfortunately.

Right- think i'll shut up now.

OK Then,

Range Rover 4 door cut down to a 2 door with an 88" wheelbase, Bobtailed.

Total reduction in length from standard of 29"

Volvo C303 High Ratio Axles being fitted as we speak.

The rear is installed and working, the front is just about there.

I think it should be ready by the end of this week for it's public viewing.

Andy - T.

Glasgow.

go on then I'l own up to being apart of this can't wait till people start to break bits though (you seen the price of ring and pinions and shafts lol)sorry unless there mog

Although it these things are going to break this easily then a pretty healthy trade in upgraded replacements will start pretty quickly i reckon.

what vehicle do you have maverick? you fitting mog axles? i thought about this but i reckoned they were just too heavy duty for the UK scene that i am going to be in, and just a bit of overkill along with a lot more work.

go on then I'l own up to being apart of this can't wait till people start to break bits though (you seen the price of ring and pinions and shafts lol)sorry unless there mog

if you stick mog axles on a grand cheokee the back axle fits st8 on and every thing lines up as stock just a set of flanges needed if you want to keep it l/r then what about a p38

DSC_3649.jpg

1978 SIII 88" SSW

2.25 petrol with ACR Powerplus kit

Revolver Shackles, Parabolics, Long Travel shocks

Volvo C303 Portal Axles

Super Swamper Q78/16 (35.5") tyres on C303 Wheels

I am thinking about how to address this braking lever /spring wrap issue, which must also be a problekm for people with more powerful engines. My though is that a radius arm type setup or track rod from the chassis out to the top of the axle should do it. In my case where it is really about braking ( results in some spring wrap as the tyres "lever" the portal axle agaisnt the springs" ) a single arm ought to do it, but where engine torque comes into play it may need more....? Thoughts and ideas most welcome!

trouble is..... what was a cheap form of motorsport which most people could compete in fairly cheaply... IE standard 90 fitted with MT's..... and therefore alot of people can afford to do it.

as people are spending more and more on their vehicles,it then puts off mr family man from doing it, because they cannot compete realisticaly against them..... and in the end the sport slowly dies apart from those with long pockets.

ive seen it happen with alot of other sports over the years.

just a thought.

Being a family man I sort of agree with you Gelf but I'd rather not compete and see the level of vehicle improve, and the portal axled truggy is defn looking like the next generation which is very exciting, than a ban on mods (ARC anyone!). For me the LR tech and what people do to enhance their trucks if half the fun.

The AWDC/Scorpion events with the two(or more?) classes might be an answer as is the HRBO challenge with ARC and non-ARC teams but it does require enough competitors to make running the events worthwhile.

And if we do have two (or more) classes then where is the line drawn? There is already a wide spectrum of 90s competing from the near stock on MTs (well maybe not) to the twin lockers, crawler boxed, cryo cv'd 90 which would be well beyond the reach of many of us. Its interresting that some of the portal axled trucks look extremely strong and capable but are more the result of manhours than the chequebook.

im not knocking what people are doing..... i soon hope to having ago myself, just worry that it may self destruct.

my own landy is a money pit already, having recently bought lockers for...... just makes me wonder where it'll end.

i think ive got everything i need for the landy...then a new product arrives :huh:

Please just ignore if this sounds stupid but what about anti tramp bars but sort of in reverse. ie facing to limit rotation on braking rather than acceleration?

Not at all stupid M8, that, in my somewhat inarticulate manner, is essentially what I am talking about (alothough that in and of itself does not make it not stupid). My thinking on one bar/arm is get it close to center so that it inhibits axle fore and aft rotation but not side to side (ie. the up and down movement of a beam axle). That's the idea anyway, but I wonder would it seriously diminish travel by inhibiting the arc movement of the spring as the shackles open?

Another cheap and cheerful approach would be to add a third leaf to the front paras, thereby stiffening them. More braking force is exterted on the front axle and the rear (which is a three leaf now) doesn't seem to be a problem.

are more the result of manhours than the chequebook.

Some people have time, some have money, some lucky buggers have plenty of both, me I'd just like a bit of either. You work with what you have.

The AWDC/Scorpion events with the two(or more?) classes might be an answer as is the HRBO challenge with ARC and non-ARC teams but it does require enough competitors to make running the events worthwhile.

And if we do have two (or more) classes then where is the line drawn?

I quite like the AWDC class system, one winch no lockers = standard class, lockers and/or more than one winch = modified class.

I'm thinking about competing in the standard class next year (when I finally get the 90 finished) as I can't afford the simex, front and rear winches and lockers plus the uprated bits to make it reliable that it would take to be competitive in the modified class. I'd have to remove my rear detroit (or keep quiet about it

;) ) but I reckon it might be the way for me to stand even a little chance of being competitive.

Gelf - very good point. However, Andy (Moglite) is building his entire truck for the price of a set of MD portals (or trying to :rolleyes: ) there will always be those who throw their chequebook at the truck and let someone else do all the work, but I suspect most people will be more interested in the ones where people have used their own initiative and put some work in themselves.

From another point of view - suppose Andy with his 5k home-build enters a challenge event and comes close 2nd to someone who's spent 50k on a 90. Who's done better?

The guy who comes first.

No one says the F1 teams at the back of the field are better than the front runners just because the compete on a smaller budget. The top competitors are those who get round fastest or get the most points etc.

Have high speed Volvo portals under my bushie (Aus version of Dakar 4x4). Front from C303, rear is C304 housing with C303 centre. The C304 is offset less than C304 (I have a 5:1 Atlas t/case, which has centred rear output).

Rangie chassis. Front axle is moved forward about 100mm. Swayaway racerunner coilovers with 3 link +panhard at front and 4 link at rear.

Isuzu 4BD1-T engine is moved back through firewall so that it is behind the diff to keep everything as low as practical. Front winch will go behind front cross member.

Have to shorten the adaptor between the 6 speed Isuzu gearbox and Atlas t/case.

Tyre size will be 37 or 38".

Still have a lot to do (including disk brake conversion) and little free time.

Ok, well it seems I'm lagging behind here in terms of build rate, but here are my MONSTROUS Mog axles. These things are ludicrously fawkin' heavy and are too big to be realistically used on a landy.

Mog_axles.jpg

They will be cannibalised (portals only with custom centre sections) or used to mock-up my next project, involving a 4.75 ltr Rover V8, custom tube chassis. Purpose at this time is still Top Secret.

I have to finish the landy first though...

Cheers, Al.

I have just finished putting unimog axles under a g wagon for a friend

And am just about to start putting them under a bowler 88" for a customer

I am currently building a challenge motor using full unimog running gear inside a tubular body

the spec at the moment is;

mog engine uprated to aprox 200 bhp

38" boggers on cutom twinbead locked wheels

full hydraulic steering

H14w hydraulic front winch

milemarker rear winch

winches and steering powered by 45hp crank driven pump

and much more as the build continues

I am available to shorten, recenter, disc brake convert or modify portals

yours danny 07960 888809