Post up all those that have portal axles

MogLite

hmmm interesting, out of interest how light is light. what are the relative weights/strengths of the various makes: mog, volvo, GAZ and Simca (only mentioned as I happened to find a set on a 90 on fleabay, i understand that they're not the best)

Does nobody, well Jez probably, know the answers to these questions?

I had a web hunt the other day, found GAZ but nowt on portals from them? :(

I assume that for £500 ex factory, there must be a catch, otherwise everyone would be buying them?

was about provide a decent response, but then remembered it was talk of uaz portals i had come across. anyway, if you're interested there is a thread about them on pirate, just do a search. i think mr van snorkle had some experience of them in vietnam, he uses the name agrover there. as i recall the quality of metals used wasn't the best, but its a hazy memory of 2nd hand information, so best to seek it out for yourself. there may be mention of them on various portal threads on this forum also.

i presume the gaz portals are bigger or maybe there the same, who knows..certainly not me.

he uses the name agrover there. as i recall the quality of metals used wasn't the best,

Well, my thought was that if they are made from the same 'chocolate' recipe as a standard LR axle, but then put on something smaller and lighter, then the proportional quality/ strength ought to be ok with less mass?

Or am i barking mad thinking such things?

I'm pretty sure I have photos of the Gaz & Uaz portals, and IIRC there is some footage on the Ladoga DVD of someone working on one.

Your starter for ten:

post-21-1191491000_thumb.jpg

BTW it would be a bit of work but can I suggest the mods split this thread into "who's got portals" and "let's discuss portals" as it's drifting away from the original post a tad.

Its been a while since I had a rover (Cadbury's) axle, so I dunno about those weights, but...

Front: Mog: 240 kg Volvo: 170 kg

Rear: Mog: 220 kg Volvo: 155 kg

Half? I think your calculator's bust!

Or where you referring to larger Mogs? - a 406, for example is pretty much bang on twice the weight of a volvo.

Don't get me wrong, I think volvos are the appropriate choice for a landy based build. Assuming you are not hybridizing.

Al.

• 7 months later...

My simca portals will be here in a few days......

However,

I was wandering if anyone has any experience with rockwell portal axles like the ones on a renault TRM 2000 any expierience fitting to a landrover anything at all......?

• 3 weeks later...
My simca portals will be here in a few days......

However,

I was wandering if anyone has any experience with rockwell portal axles like the ones on a renault TRM 2000 any expierience fitting to a landrover anything at all......?

I have just bought out Straight Forward Supplies, and it is now called www.portalrover.co.uk

Cheers, Hughie

post-6432-1212221075_thumb.jpgpost-6432-1212221075_thumb.jpg

I have just bought out Straight Forward Supplies, and it is now called www.portalrover.co.uk

Cheers, Hughie

post-6432-1212221075_thumb.jpgpost-6432-1212221075_thumb.jpg

Hey hughie,

your post "may" get deleted as Spam, bu stick around and contribute to the forum please- there's a few on here with portals.

can you tell us a bit about yourself- how long you have played with portals, your background etc etc

first request from me would be a brake disc kit that looks safe enough to use but which doesn't cost a fortune!

Cheers

jim

Answering the original questions...for nostalgia and general showing off.

This was my work vehicle for the last 4 years - 1 careless owner, genuine reason for getting rid of it, now looking to upgrade to medium tracked armour...

Trailer.jpg

Base vehicle - Pinzgauer 718TK, for when just 4 portals aren't enough.

Portal make - Pinzgauer

Home built/ or built for you - Mostly built for me, taken it apart a few times though.

When will it be on the road - Never again unfortunately (it's in bits on its way to a secret location)

Tyre size - 285/75 R16 BFG MTs

Well, since this thread has re-surfaced:

post-5209-1212348820_thumb.jpg

Actually my brother-in-law's, but basically it will be Unimog 404 axles built as a bolt on swap to Landrover. They'll be fitted to the Tdi 90 in the background for Muddy Bottom Seven Sisters in June, (prop length may be a challenge!) but eventually they'll be going on a 4.6 V8 110 truck cab.

Hughie, he just got the front axle back from Straight Forward last week following the diff offset conversion.

Oh, forgot, currently being built on the standard 35" Unimog tyres, but may be on 44" Zils by Seven Sisters (thanks Jez)

was about provide a decent response, but then remembered it was talk of uaz portals i had come across. anyway, if you're interested there is a thread about them on pirate, just do a search. i think mr van snorkle had some experience of them in vietnam, he uses the name agrover there. as i recall the quality of metals used wasn't the best, but its a hazy memory of 2nd hand information, so best to seek it out for yourself. there may be mention of them on various portal threads on this forum also.

i presume the gaz portals are bigger or maybe there the same, who knows..certainly not me.

Rather limited experience actually. I've seen many UAZ 469's and the earlier GAZ 69's with and without portal axles in North Vietnam. Some had portals front and rear whilst others had them retrofitted at one end only, So I assume the overall final drive ratio may match that of the UAZ conventional non portal axle. I did spend half a day annoying vendors at Hanoi's so called black market, where one can purchase just about any component from any car or truck that ever made an appearance in South East Asia, and managed to find the internals of a UAZ portal hub. Unlike Volvo and Mog hubs which use 2 gears, one stacked on top of the other, UAZ uses an internally toothed ring gear at the output (wheel) end that is driven by a small spur gear on the end of the input shaft ( halfshaft). As a consequence of this design the gain in ground clearance is quite small,maybe 2 3/4'' to 3'', and the reduction ratio is quite large,I'd guess around 3:1.The diff centre is very compact which itself does improve clearance. At first glance the gears look narrow, small and delicate, that is until you sit the spur gear inside the ring gear and notice that there is almost twice as many teeth in contact when compared to Mog/Volvo type designs.

I'd say that using a complete pair of UAZ portal axle assemblies under a SuzAtsu or even a SWB LandRover would be a worthwhile exercise, providing a suitable difflock could be sourced or made,but the portal hub ratio is really too low for use on a hybrid type axle using a common readily available differential.

Bill.