Post up all those that have portal axles

MogLite

Nieviem Nemecky Daan, som Anglican! moja manzeka Slovenka, moj stary navigator je Holandan! - Skodu a dobry auto :-) moja manzelka ma tiez S3 Hybrid na portal - Anglicky Landrover ludia nemaju predstavy :D

pod sa pohrat do Tatier?

ti gavaryis pa Russki? :D

OK,

I'll translate this for you all so to understand what these two are saying!

Here we go:

"Daan,I'm not a Niva mechanic,just a little Anglican!I'm gonna have a Slovenijan for breakfast,while my co-driver will come from Netherlands to join!Skoda (Octavia?) is a dumb car,but I'm going to build an hybrid outta it with S3 body and portal axles-something the English Landrover can only dream to be!

Are you going to bring the Tata (Safari?)?

Did you meet that Russian lady?:D

Easy.

erm I think your online translator is a bit wonky - nice try some of the words are almost right ;)

we could do it in Russian, Polish, Swedish, but I need the practice so how about this one

Michele, jo hogy ki probaltad a on-line tolmacsal de ezek nem jok. Meg akartam kerdezni hogy tudnal e tervezni nekem egy logot amelyket a munkahelyemen akarnam hasznalni? Es menyibe kerulne ??

Michele, jo hogy ki probaltad a on-line tolmacsal de ezek nem jok. Meg akartam kerdezni hogy tudnal e tervezni nekem egy logot amelyket a munkahelyemen akarnam hasznalni? Es menyibe kerulne ??

Right,I'm coming!

(Please note I do not have a translator,just use my innate and superior knowledge!)

(clear voice)

"Michele (which is me),I have scribbled up an on-line diary about my little toy.Meg (Ryan?) called me and I have sweared as I couldn't find any logo I like____Alsatian (sheperd?)?Are you maybe handsome?"

Ask Mandy for that.

:lol:

Guys, My Czeck girlfriend is doing all the translation. My current czech goes as far as 2 words: pivo, milatchku (beer, honey).

The beer is delicious over here, at about 75 pence a pint!

Anyway, everyone who has portals fitted, post a few piccys please.

Daan

steves.jpg

The front 8 foot or so of chassis is rr the rest inc the body is all fabricated,

the engine is a 5 ltr tvr, the box is a zf 4 speed with a manual valve body in it,

it's on narrowed and disc converted unimog axles, on double beadlocked hummer rims with 37" boggers,

it uses 3 link front on 16" fox coilovers and triangulated 4 link rear on 18" fox coilovers

from D44 site

Guys, My Czeck girlfriend is doing all the translation. My current czech goes as far as 2 words: pivo, milatchku (beer, honey).

The beer is delicious over here, at about 75 pence a pint!

Anyway, everyone who has portals fitted, post a few piccys please.

Daan

75p a pint?? Daan mate you are getting ripped off - send me a pm and we'll sort out a playday in the Tatras ? 20 Sk down here (34p)

ahoj!

Jez

steves.jpg

The front 8 foot or so of chassis is rr the rest inc the body is all fabricated,

the engine is a 5 ltr tvr, the box is a zf 4 speed with a manual valve body in it,

it's on narrowed and disc converted unimog axles, on double beadlocked hummer rims with 37" boggers,

it uses 3 link front on 16" fox coilovers and triangulated 4 link rear on 18" fox coilovers

from D44 site

Tony that is sic :)

anymore pics or info - I couldn't find anything on Devon's site - that is D44 right ?

"Proper class structure is what's required"

Hear him, hear him!

Absolutely right. That's what we bloody well need, none of this mucky democratic nasty levelling. A respect for class is what's wanted - and those of us with portals are at the top and shall, from time to time, deign to recieve fealty and professions of of admiration from those mere mortals on lesser axles. Noblesse oblige apres tout.

Fu*k class structure"

Now then, there will be none of that Bolshy nonsense here. Clap him in irons and get him to the tower. Off with his head!!!! Peasants. Never happy with a donkey cart, always after a coach and six. Hmph.

:P:P:P

I've got 'em. I love 'em and if you don't, spit your dummy out, run around screaming the sky is falling, do other generally silly things and..... I still won't care because I'm not done grinning from my first outing with the portals last weekend. But while we're on the subject......

COIL SPRINGS - now there's an insidious innovation that cannot be tolerated. Imagine. What next? Independent suspension? Electronic traction devices? Where will the madness end???????????????

;)

the car belongs to steve lloyd and is now painted in his colours he likes to keep things and developments to him self and his build team but he has quite a few intesting ideals in the futre the buggie is the way forword in challange eventing and it can only get better

i start my build in jan and cant wait

303 volvo less wait but there only save upto 40" tyres

404 unimog VERY hevey but you aint going to break them

the car belongs to steve lloyd and is now painted in his colours he likes to keep things and developments to him self and his build team but he has quite a few intesting ideals in the futre the buggie is the way forword in challange eventing and it can only get better

i start my build in jan and cant wait

What he said :D Its Steve Lloyd's new machine. IIRC he had a couple of issues first time out (Argyll) but I'm not sure how it did at 3 peaks. Its a very nice looking bit of kit but it clearly cost a few £££ It certainly looks the bussiness!

Had the pleasure of watching Steve and his new toy at the Three peaks.........

Man oh man thats a beast! :blink:

Scared the SH*T out of me as meer landrover axle owner :P

Winch is also something to behold (Even more scared :rolleyes: )

It was fun watching something truley different ,a credit to the bloke WHO is prepared to think outside the box

Am competing againist Steve in a few weeks time, I'll let you know how we get on (Nervous laugh)

Got a feeling where gona get our arses kicked :P

Ho Um........

Jim :)

This may be a minor rant,

Class systems - I was all for this intially. But I then stopped to think for 5 minutes- I want to win and not just the standard class, the whole event thank you. Therefore what ever the class system, it is irrelavent, as at the end of the day I need to beat everyone, portals, fancy winches or not (I don't have any) if I want to make my 'dream' come true.

At the end of the day all these mods suit some events better than others. Get a massive portal axled machine - your stuck in narrow bits and will sink like a stone in a soft bog. Tired of elctric winches, fit a PTO one their great - until you are at an event with no trees (you can't drive assist with out diggin massive holes - ground anchours come out of the ground like tent pegs). At the end of the day use your head and build/buy what ever you want.

However at the end of the event how much difference does it make??? When I think back to events that I did well in and those that I did not, fancy adds on did not make or break it. It was tactic's, teamwork, reliabilty and being fit enough to work efficently non stop all day, or the lack off one or more of these that made the differance.

Tough Trucks 04 - 4th - In a good team, didn't break anything significant and worked dam hard all week end and used our heads on the special stages. Well chuffed.

Bulldog 04 - did the wrong special stage, f**ked it up and spent ages in a bog. Not enough time left to get enough punches etc. Probably about last, didn't check.

Bulldog 05 - Now got fancy simex, ARB's, fancy 1/2 shaft's, 2 winches. Do any better? No, the A frame ripped of the back axle on day two. End of event. I would have been better off spending my money on rebuilding the shed of a 90 rather than spending ££££ on fancy bits as I did better with one winch, 7.50x16's, britpart 1/2 shafts and no diff locks. At least then I wouldn't have had to hold the fuses in the fuse box to get the wipers to work!

The outcome:

1/. Fat (who ate all the pies) navigator sacked and replaced with slimer, fitter, brighter one.

2/. Brighter navigotor about to under go training, i.e. don't ask how you put in a way point on the GPS when I'm driving.

3/. Version 5 of our ground anchor built to get around PTO winch issue.

4/. Working on tactic's for punch hunts.

5/. The rolling restoration continues.......

At the end of the day you can spend loads of cash on add ons/toys/fancy motors, etc. I think the biggest difference on UK terrain is the people in the cab.

Are those who moan about not being able to compete the ones who need to get in the gym???

After all Schumacher does not win F1 races because he has the fastest car, he wins because he is metalaly and physically able to drive right on the ragged edge.

So built what ever you want and I will enjoy challenging myself to see if I can beat you!

Rant over,

Adrian