Well dodgy

Err shag all I can do about it now but the Td5 I brought in from the UK obviously has a history.

The engine number seems to have been welded over and then grinded back. Unless you'll tell me that the engine nuber is stamped onto a metal plate and bonded to the block? Thats what it kinda looks like.

But I know thats unlikely, it looks as though someone coveredt it by welding over it's length \(but not the entire surface it's stamped into) and then ground it back until it was quite smooth but not quite back to the original level of the surface on ther block if you get me.

I need to know the number so I can identify the year of the lump and then get the right parts. I don't fully understand welding but I'm guessing that the torch/wire in part melts the metal it comes in contact with so that the likely hood is that even if I grind the surface back very carefully I won't fins the deeper recesses of the numbers, or will I?

Have I made any sense?

George

Oh and failing that route is there any other part on the engine or reliable way that will identify the year of the lump?

Judicious use of some emery paper might bring the number back up - try a polishing head on a dremel or similar. Only other way is to acid etch it. Trouble is, there is only one reason why someone would have done that - which means that it doesn't actually belong to you....

Matt

I am given to understand that an engine, once stolen and recovered, may have a number attached in the same way decribed by (or on behalf of) the insurance company, proir to being sold legitimately by the insurer. This was told to me by an ex copper who had bought such an engine - I assume it was true, though with this ex copper you could never really be sure. ;)

Chris

I am given to understand that an engine, once stolen and recovered, may have a number attached in the same way decribed by (or on behalf of) the insurance company, proir to being sold legitimately by the insurer. This was told to me by an ex copper who had bought such an engine - I assume it was true, though with this ex copper you could never really be sure. ;)

Chris

That's a new one on me Chris....!

Matt

Matt, yeah I got that bit :D but forgive me if I don't go running back to the English law waving my arms, especially that my European trip is already way late and I've finished work. Buying another lump isn't an option.

Guys the thing about Aralditing a plate on is very interesting seening as thats actually what it looks like. But then I could also argue it looks like a ground weld too. I havent fully pulled the lump so cant see for sure but there may be tell take grinding signs on the bottom of the head just over the engine number surface :o

So anyway if I can even retrieve the first few characters I can prob identify the lump? Are Disco lumps given different numbers?

EDIT: meant to ask, seeing as the turbo is a Garrett item, could I approximately age the engine by the turbo, are there known Garrett serial/model numbers?