Discovery 1 Bumpers

geoffbeaumont

• 2 weeks later...
Has this turned up yet???

Nope - chased it today and was told they've despatched a load of bumpers today and think mine was among them. If not it'll be dispatched tomorrow.

But then last time I chased them they told me they were hoping to dispatch it wednesday or thursday last week :rolleyes:

I've got thursday and friday off work so I'm really hoping it turns up by then so I can fit it...

Right, here goes, piccies of the Golddigger 4x4 winch bumper:

gallery_1_388_38726.jpg

gallery_1_388_120186.jpg

gallery_1_388_35533.jpg

Swivel recover points and hi-lift jacking eyes:

gallery_1_388_94832.jpg

This is the only branding on the bumper - fortunately, I don't think I'd want 'Golddigger 4x4' emblazoned across my truck in big letters. It's a bit too rap for me...

gallery_1_388_2547.jpg

To my inexpert eye all the welding looks good:

gallery_1_388_105352.jpg

gallery_1_388_77094.jpg

And finally, a quick shot of it on the truck. It was getting dark, so it's not a great photo. I'll take another one tomorrow.

gallery_1_388_26709.jpg

Finish quality is excellent, came with a full set of bolts to fit it and steel shims to pack the chassis out to the right width (I presume there's inconsistent chassis widths?). I can't get the bolts through on one side as the holes don't all line up, but it's close enough I should be able to sort it by running a drill through. Not sure if it's the bumper or chassis at fault - the standard bumper was fitted with bolts that were smaller diameter than the holes, so they didn't really need to line up!

I'm not an engineer, but it looks like a solid bit of kit to me, good value for money and it looks great on the truck :D

Have they gone mad? :rtfm:

It's worse than that, Steven - Erica's half Argentine... :ph34r:

You may find that the bumper mounts are made a bit wider to accommodate a steering guard. Certainly my bumper has to mount over the guard mounting eyes and without the guard would need shimming out a fair bit.

Ah! That makes sense :) The gap would be about right.

I've just seen in TOR that the new improved bumper is going to be £260 inc vat, which is (IIRC) £65 more than the old one :o:( not looking good for me now...

Ouch! I'm feeling smug now, though - I paid the old price but actually got the new design :D To be honest, I'd say it's still reasonable value at that price, but by the time you've put shipping on top you're looking at £280...

They've come in for a bit of stick on eBay recently for long delivery times and poor communication - they did say they'd had a big run of orders and got behind (fair enough - I suspect they're a very small outfit and they were upfront and honest about it) but it would have been nice to have been told before I chased them - I had a courtesy call from Carl at Golddigger today, though, to check it had arrived and I was happy with it, so sounds like they're listening to their customers and doing something about it :)

As promised, photo's in daylight:

With the grill still off:

gallery_1_388_46101.jpg

No winch for now, so I mounted the numberplate over the fairlead hole. The corners of the grill have to be trimmed - I think if you were careful you could leave the mounting brackets sufficiently intact to do their job - mine were already smashed by a kamikaze pheasant.

gallery_1_388_95118.jpg

You can see how well tucked in it is. Good for approach angle, I guess it won't protect the truck as well as one that sticks out, but it's exactly what I was looking for.

gallery_1_388_89851.jpg

While I had the grill off I noticed that I also have a very sporty freeflow radiator :blink: Nearly half the fins are gone and the rest crumble away if I touch them. I know the Tdis have a reputation for being over cooled, but I'm still surprised I don't have overheating problems!

Quick addition - one thing I forgot to mention is that with this bumper you lose the headlamp washers. I did toy with the idea of drilling the bumper to fit them (they're very handy for winter driving), but aside from being reluctant to do that to my brand new bumper I don't thing it's possible, simply because the Golddigger bumper doesn't stick out as far as the standard one so there probably isn't room for the nozzles. I'm guessing they're pretty vulnerable off road anyway? Never had any trouble with the Range Rover ones, but they didn't stick out as much.

I'm also pretty sure, having had a look at it in better light, that it was the bolt holes in the chassis that didn't line up rather than those in the bumper - the anti-crush tubes are certainly at an angle and both chassis members are slightly off square in cross section!

While I had the grill off I noticed that I also have a very sporty freeflow radiator :blink: Nearly half the fins are gone and the rest crumble away if I touch them. I know the Tdis have a reputation for being over cooled, but I'm still surprised I don't have overheating problems!

Something like this?

gallery_1731_373_35412.jpg

Mine only overheated when I clogged it with mud (which was by then rock-hard) and tried to keep up with D-Lander on our 180 mile jaunt to Seven Sisters!! Up to that point the needle had been sitting happily at the mid-point of the gauge...for probably quite a long time :huh:

• 1 year later...
yep sorry defo love the cheviot one :wub: as upon closer inspection you will see they have a grove on the corner's of the bumper to allow you to winch off something behind the front line of your car should (and i would be very happy to be equipped) that be the only thing in site where a ground anchor was not feesable!big selling point for me i,m afraid

also i have just fitted my new steering guard from the same 'bombproof' range and am very pleased with it :D (pics to follow)

however do not get excited about this bumper as i have been trying to get my grubby little paws on one for a long time now with no luck at all :angry:

as it seems the laws have changed on the production of these style of bumpers :o the following is cut from a e-mail i recived from a nice man called ken at cheviot 4x4...........

Hi dougie,

Sorry to take so long but I needed to make one or two telephone calls on this subject of bumpers and 'A' Bars.

From now on all our bumpers will not be fitted with 'A' bars. The law states that "the frontal protection system shall not be inclined forward of the vertical. The top parts of the fps shall not extend upwards or rearwards more than 50mm from the bonnet leading edge reference line of the line of the vehicle."

Several companies around the country who supply bumpers with 'A' bars no longer do so.

We have followed that route. We have a couple of Defender bumper bars left for off road use only but that is all.

In future all bumpers provided by ourselves will not have the 'A' bar. That does mean that there is some redesign work to be completed to put the strength in the bumper in another way.

So, we will be revamping our bumper product range. I do not have a timescale but I can tell you that when the new range is ready it will be put on the website.

I am sorry to have kept you waiting so long.

Best Wishes

Ken

if anyone hears any more on this matter or has a different view please let me know, in the mean time i,m still on the hunt for that ideal bumper to stick on my beloved :huh:

dougstar

i recently ordered the 8274 bumper, at the time i might have been abit excited and not read the details properly but after going back a week later it said they were temporarily unavailable, so i emailed them to see what was going on. The reply said they could no longer produce them with the A bar but would be coming out with a new one in about a month, after reading the above though i wont be holding my breath

I have a Goldigger D1 winch bumper for sale if anyone is interested- about 9 months old never fitted with a winch, all bolts etc. Cost £260 for sale for £180 - located Isle of Wight. Goldigger appear to have stopped trading now, shame as its nicely made kit.

Paul