Steering help needed......

Disco-Ron

I hope you're sitting down.....

April 07, steering box started to leak, so i got a recon one, fitted it, and went on holiday, got home 3 weeks later, and drove the truck, after about 200 miles the steering box started to leak again, from the big round 'lug' in the front of the box, rang the supplier, they sent out another one, and took the first one back, fitted the new one, another 500 miles later, this time the seal on the bottom shaft blew out.....

I then spoke to the technical man at the suppliers, he said he suspected the pump was over pressurising the system.... they would replace the box this time, but not again...... so, in order to eliminate the pump, i fitted a new one, so, afetr about 1000 miles, i noticed dampness on the very top of the box, where the big square plate bolts on.... very odd!! also slight dampness at the front of the pump.....

So, i took the top off the steerign box, and found a huge rubber seal around that plate.... no way that should leak... so i cleaned it all up, and refittted it....i have also now replaced the return pipe from the box to the reservoir in case that had a slight blockage.... and checked that the 'in' on the reservoir is ok.....

I have just topped the system back up, a driven it for a while, and there still seems to be slight seapage from the top of the box....

Any ideas before i scrap the truck

Thanks in advance!!

I reckon a teaspoonfull in 100 miles is too much.... i hate oily mess....... i was lucky when i got the truck, in that it had no leaks..... now i have plenty, and i'm fed up with it...... the front output on the transfer box is leakin too... u replaced the seal, and it's still the same...... maybe the bearing is worn moving the shaft too much i dunno..... but this steering nonsense has got me baffled..... and many others too!!!!

I have recently fitted two National Power Steering boxes to L/R's and on both occasions the MOT tester has commented on excessive play in them. The first one he issued an advisory notice because it was close to the maximum permissible play in the steering. My experiences with this company so far has been 100% bad.

Les.

Yeh, i'm suspecting as much..... i fully expect to have to fit a brand new 'Land Rover' pump... and either get another box from Adwest, or see if i can find a seal kit and just replace the seal thats leaking at the moment,..... the fact that it is leaking tells me there's too much pressure, which is a pump problem... i'm gonna ring the pump supplier tomorrow...... just for someone else's opinion...... it was a britpart pump... and i've heard stories about them too......

3-weeks ago I fitted an Adwest PAS box to a Rangy. When I started the engine the bleed nipple was undone and fluid squirted out, The nipple is normally tightened. A few days later the customer phoned to say that the box was leaking. It turned out that the preload adjuster was also loose. Adwest replaced the box (charged for delivery though - cheeky swines). They claim they had a faulty batch of seals - more like some plonker wasn't watching what he was doing.

Les.