Finland Trophy

well in the usual semi chaotic way these things pan out it looks like we are playing in the Finland trophy at Merrasmaki instead of the Warn Trophy at Jimos this weekend..

on the plus side Roopes going (combat Jeep with the formula offroad lump in it) to the Finland Trophy as is a personal hero of mine Alexander Suur (he really is 20 feet tall) and a bunch of Russians as well as the home grown proto lads..

if anyones in Helsinki tomorrow night theres a little gathering that may involve "a few beers" :wacko: Friday may be cancelled......

theres always next time Mo ;)

totally different game from Trophy raid, sort of winch challenge combined with an endurance event. 24 hours non-stop, warm then cold, day-dark-day, rocks, tight forest, a few puddles to play in and a bit of swamp thrown in for good measure, well organised, friendly and cheap, 1000 euro first prize - thoroughly recommended :)

flew into Helsinki and hooked up with James (Coszuki) and Super Kimple - headed off to Kims workshop to install new radius arm bushes (thanks for the use of the press Rejo!), smoked a lot of cigs, drank a heap of coffee and caught up with stuff

post-133-1191916600_thumb.jpg

nightime in the woods is scary - time to fit the big guns to keep all the killer Moose from attacking

post-133-1191916592_thumb.jpg

We loaded petal onto Deathtruck the nice Man flatbed that had been borrowed and hauled up country to get through scruitineering, left petal at parc ferme to find out that Roope had sorted a hunting cabin out for us all (mmm warm place with sauna :) ) it was the only sleep we were going to get for the next 48 hours and it beats the hell out of a tent! B)

post-133-1191916607_thumb.jpg

Only drawback being that after a night of *cough* hot chocolate and cookies... the combined efforts of Alexander Suurs crew, the Crazy Ghost X team and the HoFS made it a bit "fragrant" in the morning :wacko:

those crazy continentals seem to like Boggers..... cant understand why :lol:

post-133-1191916626_thumb.jpg

James wondering why Roope has a mister scandinavia air freshener in his car.....

post-133-1191916614_thumb.jpg

some idiot parked on top of a pebble...

post-133-1191916861_thumb.jpg

Proto traffic jam - the site is BIG and spread over three areas but Roopes greedy and ballistically fast..

post-133-1191916704_thumb.jpg

more Petal bashing...

post-133-1191918802_thumb.jpg

4 am was a bit of a haze <_<

post-133-1191917352_thumb.jpg

but fortunately in the morning there were some puddles to take a dip in and wake up :)

post-133-1191916719_thumb.jpg

seems like we did ok considering it was our first go at this kind of thing :)

post-133-1191916733_thumb.jpg

and the nice man gave us this and some goodies to take home.. yay :)

post-133-1191919225_thumb.jpg

sum total of damage to car.... erm - some rock rash to the belly armour, even less plastic left on the mudguards, wheels more dinged than before, other than that - no worries :)

Many thanks to Maasturistit RY for organising such a slick operation, Roope for just being nuts, Mrs Jez for feeding the plague of locusts and smiling throughout, Alexander for the driving lesson and lastly (but definately not leastly); big up to James for being a star, top score - cheers mate :i-m_so_happy:

4 classes Original, Standard, modified and Proto - theres a handicap system that gives more points to less specced cars for getting tricky punches. It seems to work well, you get the car to the punch, navigator takes a pic of driver holding the punch and touching the car with his other mit - no picture = no points.

We had a couple of dodgy moments when the GPS failed for four hours but it must have just been tired because it came back on... stupidly we didnt have any redundancy with us because we figured it was a fun day (muppets), then Kims camera snuffed it, Kim then broke my camera but managed to fix it with a rock and some gaffer tape :)

They build tough cars - virtually no "breakdown" attrition in 24 hours :o

4 classes Original, Standard, modified and Proto - theres a handicap system that gives more points to less specced cars for getting tricky punches. It seems to work well, you get the car to the punch, navigator takes a pic of driver holding the punch and touching the car with his other mit - no picture = no points.

We had a couple of dodgy moments when the GPS failed for four hours but it must have just been tired because it came back on... stupidly we didnt have any redundancy with us because we figured it was a fun day (muppets), then Kims camera snuffed it, Kim then broke my camera but managed to fix it with a rock and some gaffer tape :)

They build tough cars - virtually no "breakdown" attrition in 24 hours :o

Looks like you had a good weekend offroading, maybe i should get my rangie over there for that next year, do many people still use electric winches over there or is it all Hydro monsters?

theres still a lot of electric winches Chris especially on the smaller trucks, but the big lads seem to back those up with mech winches. the Type Rs have a big fan club over there, especially after this weekend. A couple of the Estonian guys, and a heap of Fins are going hydro next year for the speed and reliability.

I think you'd like it, theres no hassles - everyones friendly and its gods country in terms of variety of terrain, races are all year round (24 hours at minus 25C anyone?) B)

:blush: ah shucks mate no worries, i was just hangin around being the glory hunter that i am you know. And just to add to everything Jez found as a competitor point of view am sure Mrs Jez will say the same in that it was very well set up with coffee and snacks available most of the time in the pit area, and having a toilet that was civilized was most best! I didnt even get any bug bites!

The sites were well set up with ease for people to spectate and follow the cars around, while some points were well tucked away there was plenty within walking distance of car parks and the fact you could drive into most stage areas made getting around much easier. its funny i think if you allowed peeps to drive into stage areas back home there would be some issues but here everyone keeps out the way of competitors and its all a good wheeze! anyway i guess all you guys want is pics so i will shut up now

post-2697-1191926484_thumb.jpg

post-2697-1191926515_thumb.jpg

post-2697-1191926630_thumb.jpg

post-2697-1191926701_thumb.jpg

post-2697-1191926725_thumb.jpg

post-2697-1191926750_thumb.jpg

post-2697-1191926806_thumb.jpg

post-2697-1191926852_thumb.jpg

post-2697-1191926897_thumb.jpg

post-2697-1191927030_thumb.jpg

OK some more pics, didnt have time for making witty comments yesterday as was in rush to get to work. and again in a rush.

Everyone here's favourite a std Zuk 410

post-2697-1192011086_thumb.jpg

A very nice old yota that just semed to trundle everywhere he pointed it!

post-2697-1192011336_thumb.jpg

A scarey high yota on portals and with a SPOA conversion, strangely it still stayed uprigh, more evidence that portal axled vehicled fall over!!

post-2697-1192011397_thumb.jpg

ANd more proof that portals cant flex or be on any kinda of sideslope, here Jez finds the sharks teeth

post-2697-1192011536_thumb.jpg

And again form the front, sorry i missed the next shot as it rolled over ;)

post-2697-1192011585_thumb.jpg

you can do most things with 88" Daan ;)

Firstly, well done Jez.

Second,

I assume that you do not subscibe to the 100" is best current argument for challenge trucks, :rolleyes: and that the arguments about portals and landies in challenge type enviro's are not valid.

Afterall Petal is a one trick swamp poney ;)

Its just a shame she's not coming back? :(

far from it, if 100" makes a driver happy then thats what they need - personally Ive never found it a problem living with an 88" wheelbase, we dialed the steering geometry in to give me the stability I want, the suspension is now bordering on the ridiculous in terms of its ability to soak up hits - we hit good speeds accross rough ground and petal stays planted where I point it - Im sure its not the "ultimate" solution but Im happy at the mo.

Its true petal is a one trick pony - she was built to survive, thats her only trick :) no bent chassis, no suspension probs, no broken winches, sod all, bit boring really.. :( the only prob so far has been 2 bent track rod ends and now we have some Zil technology courtesy of some friends in Russia even niggle should be consigned to the past. Theres some work going on to upgrade the wheels, the CTIS needs fitting, Kim wants a bigger glove box, we need windows for the colder stuff and against my better judgement we may even have a heater at some point so its far from over in terms of development.

shes due to come back for refit sometime later in the year but as Mrs Jez has been angling for us to go and play in the winter trophies even that may have to wait.

Thanks for the congrats - but Im only the monkey that turns the wheel and changes the view, the whole crew work as a team, its a wierd concept but it works well for us :)

If I can find them both some thermal undies they might consider the Winter Trophy. :D

I am just wondering what thermal undies would look like on Petal............ i dont even care too consider Jez in them :unsure::lol:

Jez,

Dont get me wrong, i am not 'dissin' you or Petal, i was just responding to your 88" comment. :)

However, its great to hear that , as you said, shes built for one thing.... surviving, and she seams to do that well.

I think that is a requirement that is often overlooked when truck building, as its not obvious in a workshop, especially when you factor other 'needs' into the build.

Dont get me wrong, i am not 'dissin' you or Petal, i was just responding to your 88" comment. :)

I didnt think for a second you were :) I can dig the theory about wheelbases but... for me Ive not found it a handicap, for tight work and ditch crossing 88 seems fine :)

Its true petal is a one trick pony - she was built to survive, thats her only trick :) no bent chassis, no suspension probs, no broken winches, sod all, bit boring really.. :(

Surely this must be most peoples idea of utopia on a competition vehicle......... means you can just be the 'point and shoot monkey' and enjoy the event? :rolleyes: