Finland Trophy

Its true petal is a one trick pony - she was built to survive, thats her only trick :) no bent chassis, no suspension probs, no broken winches, sod all, bit boring really.. :(

I thought you broke the front winch in Russia this year?

eh? :huh::lol: Im subzero at the mo fella :) to be honest I'd completely forgotten about that - I'll try and dig a piccy out, Kim couldnt see the winch because it was a couple of feet underground, the rope got a lump on and cracked the tie bar mount but its a 6 bolt fixing and the tie bars are pretty much cosmetic :)

eh? :huh::lol: Im subzero at the mo fella :) to be honest I'd completely forgotten about that - I'll try and dig a piccy out, Kim couldnt see the winch because it was a couple of feet underground, the rope got a lump on and cracked the tie bar mount but its a 6 bolt fixing and the tie bars are pretty much cosmetic :)

:huh::huh::huh::huh:

thats a biiiiiiig hole to be in if the front o your truck is feet under ground

The wife’s view…….. ^_^

As usual the things were going smoothly…. and everything was well planned ;)

Where we going? Don’t know. Who is meeting us? Don’t know yet. How are we getting about? – Don’t know. Where are we sleeping, in the woods? Don’t know. Any info about the race? In finish - yes. :blush:

Got the plane tickets and passports? Yep – ok let’s go.

(Oh Sh.te !! Forgot to book the kennel for the dog!!! ) Found one – phew….. :wacko:

Cool so everything is organized – let’s go…..

The airport saga – has anybody asked you to carry anything for them sir? Hm….. (chilli crisps for Kimple, proper sausages for James……couple of spares here and there…..) Of course not officer…

Noticed the sign on train to the terminal – no meat products, cheese, milk etc…… Hope they can’t smell the sausages in my handbag …….. :angry2:

Finally there …. aaaaa

Finland trophy was a great fun. Very tiring but fun. James is a star (he has the ability to switch off when I am talking AT him :lol: )

I must point out that as a confirmed Suzuki man – James ended up having to drive a LAND ROVER (nothing to be ashamed of darling :ph34r: …… )

It all started by a late start on Thursday (too much gossip to catch up on the night before) – up to Kim’s work shop to prepare the old girl for the race. Didn’t take long – Kimple managed to at least wash Petal after Russia. B)

Run around to get fluids, (would have been much faster and easier if our cards weren’t getting stopped after every transaction by the banks antifraud department in frigging Spain), changed fluids, changed the winch casing, I cleaned car again and used …hm … WD40 for that extra shine  redone the front mudguards and popped on the BIG lights!

All this on Thursday/Friday am, in between lot of coffee making, talking, packing and shopping and visitors plus saving a deaf, blind stray dog too.

After that - collecting the Deathtruck, swapping the other cars, loading, getting burgers for the horde and getting on our merry way. Met the rest of the crew in the motorway services for a coffee and made our way to the competition.

We went straight to the scrutineering, have tires measured, paperwork looked at, met friends, more coffee, listen to Roope revving his engine (aaaaaahhhh) more coffee, car to park femme and then to the lodge. Met the Fins and Estonians at the lodge. Fire burning, sausages cooking and plenty of beer consumed in between waypoints being loaded onto laptops and gossip. Lodge was lovely and warm and I was honored by being the first girlie in the sauna. (Actually I was the only girl in the lodge). Afterwards more laughing, drinking and talking till about 3am. A perfect preparation for a 24 hour non stop race :D

Next day early wake up call – go to the start, and waited for the race to begin. Lots of hanging around, socializing, picture taking coffee drinking. Proto class started at 12.30, and let me tell you – there is nothing like seeing, hearing and actually feeling these beauties roaring past. :wub:

After they all left we hopped in to the Disco (thanks Roope!) and drove to the first competition area. The variety of the terrain was great - big rocks, small rocks, sharp rocks, mossy rocks, hidden rocks, glorious mud, sticky mud, deep mud and slippery mud even a little bit of swamp to keep Jez happy. Big hills, little hills, tight squeezes, rotten trees, cold water, deeper water, bit of winching, bit of driving, bit more winching, bit of climbing, darkness, lots more winching… :wacko:

which way now James?..... -500 points

can you hear them?..... -500 points

nearly breaking legs on bloody rocks ….. +200 point

wanting to help push a little unmodified Zuk … +100 points

oh my, it’s not even 10 yet…….-500 points

do you want my camera too just in case yours breaks….no ….. -100 points

just take it you might need it -1 hour later -cam not working, got yours..+5000 points

lost in the woods at midnight ….. - 100 points

thinking of werewolves in the darkness …..– 150

having an inky winky head torch ……+ 2 points

begging to be taken in to the camp by strangers …. -500 points

being taken to the organizers camp and car park ….-1 000 000 points

admitting defeat after walking 15 miles and going to bed at 3 am. - 100 points

nice sauna, warm lodge, inviting bed …..+500 points

woken up at 4.30 by the returning boys …. -50 points

woken up at 6.00 by boys leaving (have you got any dry socks pleeeeese? ) -10 points

get up at 7.30 and let’s find them somewhere …. +100 points

finding them and having breky ……+500 points

are you tired question ……..- 1000 points

had enough now ? ….. -500 points

lets go the finish now ….. +10 000 points

getting to the finish, downloading pictures, waiting for the results

Eating lots of sausages and coffee

back to the lodge to pack and back to the prize giving area, load petal on death truck, more coffee and sausages.

Get results, get cup, celebrate, change T-shirts after champagne shower, and let’s get going :i-m_so_happy:

10 miles down the road – swap drivers as boys falling asleep, trundle back to Helsinki, return trucks, unpack from different cars, James and Jez of to the pub to watch the rugby, me guarding the car by sleeping in it. Boys return, lets go home.

Shower and sleep.

Aaaaaaaa - lovely ;)

Pack , go to workshop, TIDY workshop, put petal away, visit 4x4 shop, uuuuuu nice tires, back to the workshop and of to the airport.

Say good bye to James and Nelly, hop on the plane, fall asleep, wake up Stanstead.

Pants we back again :(

Big thank you to – James for a lot of stuff, TomTom for making James’s life just a little bit easier, Heesburger for keeping us fed and the number of cows down, Jez and Kim for entertaining weekend, Type R for that memorable point :i-m_so_happy: , rest of crew for being there, organizers for a great event, all the other racers for the great moments

And FISH for keeping us in good spirit and putting wrongs of the world right :excl:

“Trout are powerful fish and have underwater weapons”

:ph34r:

zuz

there was a waypoint worth 150 points, on paper it sounds ok, winch up the side of a house, hold the car there, get out, take a picture - winch back down.. easy........

then we saw it and understood why it was worth the points - it was a little bit wider than the car, negative incline in places, had fissures about 4 feet wide up the side of it and there was an expectant crowd with a Russian TV crew with an expectant look in thier eyes... ahh.... erm ok..... (bear in mind this winch comp thing is new to us)

5 cigs, about a gallon of sweat and mildly soiled underwear later we became the first team to get it. seriously reassuring to have the winch give inch perfect control though :huh:

One of the proto teams owns a 4x4 shop so we dropped in for a natter - racks and racks of BIG boggers B)