Clutch slave replacement

Been following white90's excellent instructions from the tech archive but I have a couple of q's.

Firstly the old boot was completely separated from the cylinder and perished onto the operating rod. In spite of careful wiggling to try to remove it, the rod popped out of the fork (?) instead. I now have the boot off and the rod is pretty corroded

1. is it OK to just clean the rod up or should I replace it?

2. any tips for re-locating the ball + retaining clip (haven't tried yet, but I imagine it may be !@#$ing fiddly?)

3. I have run a finger around the hole in the housing and pulled out the worst of the dirt but should I try flushing it out before fitting the new slave?

TIA

John H.

post-4308-1191431634_thumb.jpg

post-4308-1191431659_thumb.jpg

post-4308-1191431647_thumb.jpg

post-4308-1191431983_thumb.jpg

--

I haven't met/heard of anyone being able to replace the plastic clip through the hole. Hopefully someone will come along and prove me wrong. Othewise it's a case of moving the box back enough to gain access :o

1.Clean it up emery or wire wool, don't put any deep nicks or scratches in it.

2. Its a right PITA to put back in, some people on here have made a tool, others have just thrown the clip away. I have never heard of the rod falling off without the clip. If you have the patients of a saint you could try putting it back in.

3. I wouldn't bother, if you flush out with water you will cause more problems with rust/sticking of the clutch pressure plate and flywheel.

I haven't met/heard of anyone being able to replace the plastic clip through the hole. Hopefully someone will come along and prove me wrong. Othewise it's a case of moving the box back enough to gain access :o

I manage to get the pastic clip back on through the slave hole. It took about an hour & half. I had to take the prop of the transfer box to give me a little more access.

Bugger. Thanks. I guess I will give it a go (some sort of tube that goes over the rod to drive the clip home?) - at least until I exhaust my supply of British expletives.

I was thinking of some sort of solvent (brake cleaner maybe?) rather than water to flush out the dirt.

I cleaned the surface rust off the rod but it's pretty pitted underneath - can anyone confirm the p/n (FRC3417?) and whether it's the same as the late Series and/or V8 part? (mine's an ex-MOD 110 NA Diesel R380 but try telling that to a N. American dealer...)

Bugger. Thanks. I guess I will give it a go (some sort of tube that goes over the rod to drive the clip home?) - at least until I exhaust my supply of British expletives.

I managed to do it with just my fingers and lots of expletives. Much to the amusement of my friends.