200tdi 110 conversion Radiator/oil cooler problem

Hi Guys,

Still not completed my conversion! One more problem with my 200tdi discovery install!!

It seems the complete engine and ancillaries i bought was sent with a 300tdi radiator. Unfortunately this means that the outlet to the engine is in the wrong place.

The rad also seems worst for wear so i decided on a replacement. I bought a Britpart discovery one BTP1823S but the oil cooler has no threads for me to fit the oil cooler pipes onto!! There is only an internal thread.

Help!!

I am assuming that there are some sort of adapter that goes from the internal thread of the oil cooler to an external thread to tighten up the oil cooler pipes.

Is this correct? If so, does anyone know the part#? As i mentioned i am not near any LR dealer, all items must be shipped in so i would like to be right first time.

Also they seem quite expensive!!

I see in the defender manual there is one for the turbo diesel but am not sure if it is the correct thread etc (NTC3858). There are also 2 versions for the V8 oil cooler (NTC3858 & ESR1262). Would this mean they are different threads.

I have loads of 1/2BSP stuff so this is not the thread of the oil cooler pipes.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers.

Just thought about it, should have added a few pics on what i was on about. I will add tommorrow if no one understands what i mean.

use 2 x ESR1262 for the Discovery oil cooler fittings. both the versions are listed for Defender 200Tdi oil coolers. ntc3858 was upto chassis JA918061 & esr1262 was for chassis from JA918062

PM BOGMONSTER he's only another 4000 miles from you on the Falkland Isles, he might just have a set kicking around his vast workshops. :hysterical:

hth :D

didn't the old rad or the 300tdi on that came have the old cooler adaptors in them?

i have a TD rad here with some adapters in it which i could send if you wanted them. although lord knows how much postage would be.

you will probably find that you need to lower the bottom shock mounts as well, theres an article in the tech archive that Les has done plus one from DSN and myself.

forgot to add, you will probably need to extend the oil pipes as well or use the ones off the the old engine.

didn't the old rad or the 300tdi on that came have the old cooler adaptors in them?

i have a TD rad here with some adapters in it which i could send if you wanted them. although lord knows how much postage would be.

New rads don't come with them fitted, I had to transfer mine over when I changed the rad.

Guest diesel_jim

Yes, the V8 threads are different from the diesel ones (i installed a full width TD radiator in my 90 with a 3.9 EFI V8, then changed it for a 300Tdi, and had to change the threaded adaptor bits.

Yes, the V8 threads are different from the diesel ones (i installed a full width TD radiator in my 90 with a 3.9 EFI V8, then changed it for a 300Tdi, and had to change the threaded adaptor bits.

Hi,

Am i correct in thinking that the Defender TD adapters/thread are the same as that of the 200tdi Discovery hose?

But Les wrote the following in his 200tdi conversion bible ' Use the TD oil cooler pipes (the disco ones are too short) However, the two threaded pieces in the radiator are not compatible, so unscrew the ones out of the TD rad and put them in place of the ones that are in the Disco one.'

Then i saw the thread suggesting i get 2 x ESR1262.

I am still abit confused!! I plan to use the Discovery hoses as i no other available. I am currently favouring the ESR1262.

(The old 300rad I have does not have any adapters installed, the external thread is part of the cooler/tank).

Thanks.

The thread in the radiator on the TD and 200TDi were the same, so the adaptor was a straight swap - it was only the threads for the actual pipes that were different. The adaptors were really tight as well - 27mm (I think), and a breaker bar to get them undone.

Les.

i've got the same set up as you, using 300 rad & 200 engine, with disco power steering pipes. All fits ok, if you need any info or pics let me know. A quick note on mounting the rad - I know most people tend to chop and reweld the chassis mounts, but you don't need to do this, it fits just fine if you chop the brackets on the bottom of the rad frame, and drill a new hole in the bottom of the rad frame, connecting to the chassis mount with a nut & bolt.

For the bottom rad hose, I had to make a bit of a hybrid - I had two n/a rad hoses I think, and used a piece of one to extend the other so it reached the bottom of the rad. The shape was just right and it cleared the fan perfectly - I used a sleeve of 2" grey household waste pipe and jubilee clips to join the pipes and it has held perfectly - took it over the Alps where it overheated and the joint held without a problem.