2-door door hinge pins

101nut

Dear fonts of all knowledge,

my driver's door hinges (2-door exposed type, 1975ish) are flapping around in the breeze a bit and need looking at.

I have what were described as 'door hinge pins' (part 391439) which are short roll pins. I'm not quite sure whether they are actually hinge pins or the retaining strap roll pins ... I think (hope) the former ...

Now the problem. I appear to have solid hinge pins - either I do have solid pins or they are roll pins with caps/seals in them which are not shown in the parts book. I assume to remove said pins I will have to beat them to within an inch of their lives however if they are solid and I have the wrong ones I will end up with a door and no replacement pin apart from a 4" nail ... :(

Anyone been there and can say whether they are indeed hollow roll pins and whether they drive out easy enough? I assume if hollow they have to be driven 'through' the other pin with a narrow punch - ie one upwards the other down - or do they drive right the way through the hinge and fall with a satisfying clink onto the ground?

On the other hand am I pi**ing into the wind and actually need to spend lots of time and mucho effort getting the entire hinges off and replacing them?

AndyG

I'd be very interested in this too, well moreso the effect the new pins have. I have the droopy door thing going on and have to tackle it sooner or later - and especially seeing as I've bought a brand new drivers door. (anyone know if there are any new passenger doors left?)

Andy I can't put my hands on my Haynes RaRo manual just tonight as I've just moved house and there's boxes everywhere but I'll dig it out tomorrow and hopefully there'll be a clue as to the pins in there somewhere...

George

I'd be very interested in this too, well moreso the effect the new pins have. I have the droopy door thing going on and have to tackle it sooner or later - and especially seeing as I've bought a brand new drivers door. (anyone know if there are any new passenger doors left?)

Andy I can't put my hands on my Haynes RaRo manual just tonight as I've just moved house and there's boxes everywhere but I'll dig it out tomorrow and hopefully there'll be a clue as to the pins in there somewhere...

George

I have a sneecky suspision that the hinge pins are all solid. I have brocken a few range rovers in the past and the quickest method for removing the doors was to use an angle grinded straight through the door hinge. Also if memory serves the hinge pin has ribs on it which help lock into the hinge.

Cheers Simon

Andy sorry for taking so long, just rummaged out the Haynes now but also had a close look at my hinges the other day.

I'd be fairly sure the main hinge pin isn't servicable and you simply replace the whole hinge. The pins hilding my hinges together look like they'd have me do more damage to the door then them before I gave up and the Haynes makes no reference to being able to remove the hinge pins only the door strap retaining pins...

Cheers Simon

Andy sorry for taking so long, just rummaged out the Haynes now but also had a close look at my hinges the other day.

I'd be fairly sure the main hinge pin isn't servicable and you simply replace the whole hinge. The pins hilding my hinges together look like they'd have me do more damage to the door then them before I gave up and the Haynes makes no reference to being able to remove the hinge pins only the door strap retaining pins...

Shanckleton

If you are putting new doors on why are you bothering with old hinges. I bought patent door hinges for my CSK but they were garbage after 3 years I needed to replace one because it seized. When I get round to restoring the CSK hopefully next year I will replace all hinges while OEM parts.

Nah I'm not replacing anything bodywise just now, I'm about to go live in the shaggin thing on the beach for a year, I'm not about to make it all pretty, I'm just gonna rehang the doors cause they're hanging so badly in places you can see the road, I don't really care only that they let in a hell of a lot of road noise...

When I come back I'll make her all pretty and that will involve the new driver's door I have and new hinges for sure.

EDIT: Shanckleton is my prison name :D

• 2 weeks later...
Nah I'm not replacing anything bodywise just now, I'm about to go live in the shaggin thing on the beach for a year, I'm not about to make it all pretty, I'm just gonna rehang the doors cause they're hanging so badly in places you can see the road, I don't really care only that they let in a hell of a lot of road noise...

When I ;)come back I'll make her all pretty and that will involve the new driver's door I have and new hinges for sure.

EDIT: Shanckleton is my prison name :D

Sorry I am dyslexic so mispell things all the time. KO ;):rolleyes: