Steering wheel removal?

Morning

After getting quite annoyed at oil seals last night I thought "I know I'll fit my new steering wheel...that'll be a nice easy job and will make me feel better" how wrong I was! <_< (I've got one of the big old ones by the way)

So I undid the nut and left it on the end so it didn't smack me in the face :lol: and gave i a bit of a tug...wouldn't move...gave it a lot of a tug... still wouldn't move <_<

Then I saw "USE EXTRACTOR TO REMOVE WHEEL NOT HAMMER" just as I was considering getting the hammer! Didn't have one but saw the tapped holes either side I'm guessing for the extractor?? So I screwed a couple of very strong bolts into them as I figured that's how the extractor works, one of the botls snapped off (have to remove that now) and the other just bent round the bit it pushes on! :angry::angry::angry: ARRHHHH

Can anybody help before I do the hammer out? :P

Cheers

SPT

You need a bit of angle or box section as well as the bolts.

Drill clearance holes in the angle at the same spacing as the treaded holes in the steering wheel.

Put bolts through angle into holes the wheel the angle then braces against the centre thread while you pull the wheel towards the angle by tightening the bolts.

Somtimes the wheel is well stuck on though and I have known this method to strip the thread in the wheel. Make sure the bolts are long enogh to engage all the thread in the wheel before they start pulling!

You need a bit of angle or box section as well as the bolts.

Drill clearance holes in the angle at the same spacing as the treaded holes in the steering wheel.

Put bolts through angle into holes the wheel the angle then braces against the centre thread while you pull the wheel towards the angle by tightening the bolts.

Somtimes the wheel is well stuck on though and I have known this method to strip the thread in the wheel. Make sure the bolts are long enogh to engage all the thread in the wheel before they start pulling!

Arh I see thanks, I've just seen these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Landrover-special-st...1QQcmdZViewItem

But with Royal Mail "thowing their teddie" I probly could make one before the post gets here.

Thanks

get the hammer out and smack it from behind ;)

Failing that /\ /\ /\ Mr. Steering wheel will meet "The Persuader"!!

cheers guys

Get some WD40 down into the splines .

I used a piece of steel plate with 2 holes drilled in it for the bolts to the steering wheel, then placed a suitably sized socket under it in the centre.

Most of the time I find that just jumping up and down while hanging on to one side of the wheel, then the other, usually works, but mine has been off a few times before, and I don't do up the centre nut that tight.

I have always done it the same way as Les...

BUT

Last time I did it on the Discovery it appears that the steering column has moved downwards (possibly due to slight deformation on the collapsible lattice), the upshot of which is that the wheel now rubs the plastic column trim cause a very very annoying squeak!

The plastic has been confined to the bin and I will be using a proper tool from now on

I soak splines with WD40 then 'assume the position' standing out of the seat pulling with a steady firm pressure with your hands at 3 and 9, then start a very gentle wiggle (whilst still pulling). You will hopefully see the WD40 bubbling as the wheel starts to move. Repeat with hands at 12 and 6 and continue until you get the shock of your life as it lets go (hence leave the nut on a bit!).

They can be a right beatch to get off and yes, the proper puller would make life a lot easier - but not as much fun :lol:

Sweep the floor in the workshop and you'll probably find 90% of the bits you need

:lol: :lol: too true!

They can be a right beatch to get off and yes, the proper puller would make life a lot easier - but not as much fun :lol:

:lol: Cheers I'll give it a go

Thanks everyone....I'll post back tomorrow when I've pulled the steering column out!

Sharpy

If you forget about the nut - any chance of a piccy of your busted conk/fat lip ? :D

Les.

Sure I'll do you a step by step if you like?

Lack of the nut

Face after

Where the blood and teeth went

The A&E I go to

Face when patched up again

I'll try and get one of the X-Ray too but they can be a bit funny about that sometimes! :P

Sharpy