Ideas needed for 109 camper conversion

mike4444244

Hi Guys

Need a few ideas for my sisters 109 3 door ht.... she wants to go camping in it with her 2 toddlers, due to the new kid seat laws i need to put a seat in the back which is not a prob for me however it does eat into the space available, she doesnt need to use it every day so it will be fitted out permanently for camping, by this i mean going wild camping for long weekends tops so it doesnt need expedition preparing!

Questions are...

whats the best way to arrange 1 adult and 2 kid beds in the back? bunkbeds?

is it likely to be a massive faff to remove a section of wheelarch to provide legroom for a seat in the back ie to enable it to be mounted as near to the side as poss?

She doesnt want a cooker or anything inside (thinking of mounting in box on inside of back door like mine) but a fridge would prob be useful...

any ideas as to where to put it? i'm thinking a cupboard built in the back between the pass seat and the opposite wheelbox which could have a folding top to turn into a bed?

Any ideas :)

Mike

is it likely to be a massive faff to remove a section of wheelarch to provide legroom for a seat in the back ie to enable it to be mounted as near to the side as poss?

If you are only looking to seat three people could you not do this across the front row with a central seat? I know you lose the space for a cubby box but it may be the easiest solution and frees up all the space in the back giving a nice large box shaped space to work with. Only problem (apart from the loss of a cubby box) with a third seat in the front is that you may not be able to fit a child seat onto it as it may be too narrow.

Hi Steve

yup got it in one! theres no way 2 childseats and an adult will fit in the front unfortunately, due to the new laws all the childseats on the market have these wing type fat sides on them making them about 43-45 cm wide...

I think i'm going to have to cut the wheel box but shouldnt be too bad as its in bits at the mo anyway while the chassis is being blasted

Mike

• 1 month later...

I think exmoor do a fold up forward facing seat with integral seatbelts, if you mounted this over the rear o/swheel arch and removed the spare wheel well, cut his down and box it out would take a car seat and in the future would be usable by a largeish child/teenager.

In the same vein, thinking ahead as you probably dont want to be converting vehicles ad infinitum, i would have a look round for a dormobile style roof s/h , and they are now available again new as well. Would allow two upper mounted bunks, and a bench converting into abed on the nearside. If sister is tall might need to consider removing bulkhead behind seats and fitting cross bracing bar. There would be room on o/s for cooker/ fridge/ wardrobe . Although rear door is good place for folddown cooker. gas bottles under n/s bench in rear locker( with suitable ventilation in bottom.

I have converted a couple of 109 many years ago, but that was for two, but there is a lot of scope in the back. JMHO HTSH