MadMan ETG gauge

Gromit

I believe that X-eng found the supply to be too erratic and it was therefore difficult to offer anything approaching customer service.

Chris

Yes, the things are made by one guy and sometimes the deliveries are very erratic. Most people seem to be prepared to order one that we fit when we have some on hand. The things are also under constant development for new features and the R&D holds up the production a bit.

Brian exports to many countries now, so email him at workshop@landyonline.co.za or visit the website landyonline.co.za

• 10 years later...

Hey guys,

I am prepping for a trip from Ghana to Senegal and to ensure that I have an eye on my engine I wanted to buy the madman EMS.

All the posts I can find on it at 10 years or more, but all sterling good - so was wondering whether it's still a good buy to go for, or whether in the last 10 years a better product came out? Thanks so much!

I haven't seen anything better. I have run 2 EMS's for many years and cant fault them. In terms of how much they can do, their configurability and that they are well made (not some dodgy chinese firmware) they are unmatched.

If you need an EGT version i have an unused one for sale.

I have just bought a 52mm EGT and 52mm Boost gauge ..then saw this!

I can't find any pictures or where to buy from anywhere online though? Does anyone have a link? I don't want to cut holes and then find out I could have fitted one of these and use it for more things

6 hours ago, HoSS said:

I haven't seen anything better. I have run 2 EMS's for many years and cant fault them. In terms of how much they can do, their configurability and that they are well made (not some dodgy chinese firmware) they are unmatched.

If you need an EGT version i have an unused one for sale.

Hoss - if Wheely passes up on this, how much would you like for it? Will it do EGT and boost pressure?

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

I have just bought a 52mm EGT and 52mm Boost gauge ..then saw this!

I can't find any pictures or where to buy from anywhere online though? Does anyone have a link? I don't want to cut holes and then find out I could have fitted one of these and use it for more things

http://www.madman.co.za/

https://www.4x4overlander.com/?s=madman&post_type=product

He will have a new version(s) out soon apparantly.

Thanks guys for the feedback!

The EMS3 is since last year that should be released so I wouldn't bet is coming out in march as they say on FB. And anyway - the delays were led by many  bugs and tweaks they had to do before releasing so I'd think that may be the first release will still not be at par with the previous EMS?

Quick Q's for you:

1- What's the difference between EMS1 and EMS2? Seems to have the same function to me when i compare on the madman website

2- How would I fit the EGT probe into a disco 200TDI engine which doens't have the EGR?

3- What are the things I should buy when installing this? i.e. what doesn't come in the box which is needed to do the installation?

thanks a lot,

Simone

1) EMS2 v EMS1

EMS2 id a round dial type you bget a nice summary page with all the numbers EMS1 is a rectangle and you set the device to flick through the differemt screens, no summary screen. Other than that its pretty much the same.

2) 1/8npt drill and tap a hole in the manifold, this ia what yoh have to do on a Def 200tdi anyways.

3) you need to buy some senders, i wouldnt say you necessarily need to buy the specific madman kit, just the senders as the madman system is designed to use vdo senders.

Thanks @Maverik for the feedback - appreciated as I am new to all these kind of things :) but learning fast thanks to this forum!

3 questions:

1) I found this picture showcasing where I'd need to drill in - is it correct? How easy is to do this and what can possibly go wrong (it's the first time I'd do something like this and in Ghana there is no workshop equipped for this kind of work).

381778993_200TdiEGTLocation.JPG.9076d417600c8da88e44f98494f588a1.JPG

2) Are these the necessary probes/etc needed or is there more for the 200 TDI:

image.thumb.png.06d800d581def34bb77b9e3bea70df7e.png

image.thumb.png.c4ea67600446ae95fc9987a88754a25f.png

3) Lastly I understand these are some things that are needed that don't come with the kit - is this comprehensive?

* 2 x gaskets for the water temp sensor

* 3 x 40mm bolts to fit water temp sensor mounting (the original bolts are way too short.)

* Antifreeze

* Loctite --> what type? is this normal glue or what?

* Fire Gum --> what is this?

* Lugs --> what is this?

* Sleeving for the wiring

* Cable ties

I am asking all of this a I need to purchase this stuff and have it shipped to Ghana so it'd be a shame if I miss something and need to ship a second batch of stuff.

Thanks a lot

got confirmation of question 2 by doing some research online:

image.png.a30e372365e0a53c856390c532d1b58a.png

The 200TDI kit that I found comes with the H360PKIT  which is not part of the kit madman offers (above picture) - is it an extra component provided as part of the kit for what particular reason you guys think?

Question 1 and 3 still stand :)

On 2/25/2019 at 3:36 PM, L19MUD said:

Thanks Red. They are a lot more than I was planning to spend if I am honest, by the time you buy the kit with the sensors too.

I think I will just add the EGT and Boost gauges separately like I planned

You dont need to buy their sensors, the inputs are configurable for standard sensors.

So some pictures of the senders on my Def 200tdi Madman Install.

EGT sender - I got mine from Madman as they are just handier to install with the fittings provided - I drilled and tapped the manifold with the engine on tick over to try limit any swarf going through the turbo, worked pretty well.

EGT.thumb.jpg.a232b8cb8f610c667df7e85b7bc91ccf.jpg

Oil pressure sender VDO part number 360-081-029-012   Now here I kind of did my own thing as I didn't like what was recommended in the fitting instructions. I installed genuine land rover pressure sender adaptor ETC4033  & ETC4033, this allowed me to keep the genuine pressure switch as a back-up. I then fitted an adapter to get it to 1/8" NPT (the black thing) - I need to check my records at to what that is. - I did this as the initial instructions advised that you screw a tapered thread into a parallel thread and it would be "ok" - this was the correct way as to not damage anything.

86213239_Oilpressure.thumb.jpg.0f4a51dc46718978898e6b4ccae9629f.jpg

Oil temperature sender - standard VDO 1/8" NPT sender for 0-150Deg C - ebay/demon tweaks - There is a blanked holed on the front facing part of the oil filter housing, you can see it looking down on the engine - I removed the blanking plug drilled and tapped a 1/8" NPT as I couldn't work out what thread the blank was.

1485581632_OilTemp.thumb.jpg.0b587d14af0e8b6b15881d16948915ab.jpg

Water Temp sender, this was easy, just found an adapter that fit and popped in the standard 1/8" npt VDO sender.

288753442_Watertemp.thumb.jpg.1dc8e25cca65971291d2e6ef6c4aa95f.jpg

I'll have a look through my records to see if I can work out what adapters I used in the end.

I hope thats of some help.