System not pressuring? overheating?

Apologies if this has been asked before!

I have just replaced my 90 200tdi engine with a disco 200tdi due to catostophic failure, everything wnt fine but i have 2 problems,

Water is not circulating the system seems not to pressurise, have tried another expansion cap still the same!

The expansion tank stays cold!

The temp guage goes up to the red after some time.

I have kept the disco sender and the defender 200tdi guage, could this be a issue between the 2 units?

I am fairly confident that there is no air block.

I have done away with the viscous unit and am in the process of installing 2 eclectric fans from the discovery.

Any pointers to the cause/solution would be much appreciated, I dont want another dead engine on my hands!

Cheers......

Use the correct Defender temp sender with your existing gauge, otherwise you'll never get a decent reasonablt true reading from the gauge, if you do a search for 200tdi temp sender or similar, you should find lots of good info :D

If there's no coolant circulation it'll either be a massive air lock [not usually a problem with 200Tdi's] or the water pump isn't running, could be a sheared impellor drive inside the pump or you have refitted the water pump/alternator drive belt haven't you ????

Use the correct Defender temp sender with your existing gauge, otherwise you'll never get a decent reasonablt true reading from the gauge, if you do a search for 200tdi temp sender or similar, you should find lots of good info :D

I'll see if my old defender one will fit!

If there's no coolant circulation it'll either be a massive air lock [not usually a problem with 200Tdi's] or the water pump isn't running, could be a sheared impellor drive inside the pump or you have refitted the water pump/alternator drive belt haven't you ????

Well I suppose i could check again for an air lock, I drove the disco home for over 80 miles and it was fine temp wise so unless in the 5 months before i got around to fitting the engine something went bang then hopefully its not sheared.

Yes, the drive belts all all there!

I had the joy of a stuck (closed) thermostat recently, that caused very quick boiling despite the bottom hose of the rad staying cold.

The thing is that the bottom hose warms up but the small pipe to, or is it from? the expansion tank stays cold.

Have you fitted the disco rad that came with engine???

Definatley use defender sender unit as Western says

I used the Defender rad as that was a 200tdi unit fitted previously and the Disco one would not fit, the oil cooler pipes were a different size as I remember.

I see if I the defender sender makes a difference and check the stat!

I used the Defender rad as that was a 200tdi unit fitted previously and the Disco one would not fit, the oil cooler pipes were a different size as I remember.

I see if I the defender sender makes a difference and check the stat!

Is it worth flushing rad just in case as we had a 300tdi running warm at 70ish turned out previous owner liked RADWELD changed rad and all was ok!

in responce to disco / defender rad oil cooler pipes don't the adapters unscrew??

there is a good chance the problem you have is just that the sender is not matched to the gauge.

Certainly a n/a or TD gauge will read just on the border of red when matched to a 300tdi engine sender unit- mine does.

Pretty sure the 200tdi is a different sender again.

If it helps, I have a an older n/a, TD car with corresponding gauge and fitted a 300tdi engine - the thread for the sender unit is different to 200/TD/NA senders so I can't seem to find one to match the gauge - I'll prob have to get a gauge to match the sender from a 300tdi defender. In normal use though the gauge sits just a gnats hair below the red and that indiciates normal operating temp.

:blink:

Firstly thanks for all the ideas to solve this.

I changed over the sender from my old engine this afternoon, and hey presto the temp needle now sits bang in the middle of the range! I tested by going for a 8-10 mile run albeit on dual carrigeways and it stayed the same, I have done away with the viscous unit and have two lecky one in place.

The expanion chamber is still not getting any hot water to it!

Is this to be worried about do you think??

I don't recall my expansion tank ever being that warm... I guess when the system goes under pressure some water is moved up into the tank, but once there, there is no circulation in mine, just one pipe in and out...

If yours is part of the circulation, maybe it should get warm, if like mine, just one tube, nothing to worry about...

Neil

The expanion chamber is still not getting any hot water to it!

Mine doesn't get hot either. After all it's only an expansion tank, not part of the main circuit I guess.

You should be able to 'see' the thermostat opening if you keep a close eye on the temp gauge.

On mine the temp goes up to just over half in the first few miles, and then drops down to exactly 1/2 way as the 'stat opens.

Is the top hose from the thermostat hot after a run?

Mine doesn't get hot either. After all it's only an expansion tank, not part of the main circuit I guess.

You should be able to 'see' the thermostat opening if you keep a close eye on the temp gauge.

On mine the temp goes up to just over half in the first few miles, and then drops down to exactly 1/2 way as the 'stat opens.

Is the top hose from the thermostat hot after a run?

Yep both the top and bottom get hot